Napp-IT - Recovering iSCSI info after OmniOS Crash

Discussion in 'Solaris, Nexenta, OpenIndiana, and napp-it' started by coolrunnings82, Nov 21, 2017.

1. coolrunnings82

coolrunnings82 Active Member

I recently rebooted my OmniOS SAN due to some physical rack changes. I properly shut down the servers using iSCSI before shutting down the SAN. However upon booting back up, OmniOS went into some forced maintenance mode and I was unable to find a way to recover the info. I intended on moving the ZFS pool to a new server anyway so I pulled the drives, put them in a new system, and imported the ZFS volume into a fresh OmniOS VM (from the latest Napp-It Preconfigured Template). The pool imported just fine and I see everything I expect except the iSCSI configuration seems to be missing. I've never moved a pool containing an iSCSI target before. Previous pools using NFS and SMB had those settings automatically migrated with the pool.

I looked at the ZFS file systems and I do see the used space and ZFS volume containing my data there but I don't know how to reconnect that so my existing volumes can be accessed over iSCSI. Any pointers would be helpful here! Thanks!

2. audio catalyst

Did you make backup of you comstar config in nappit ?
    That would be the easiest, although not the only possibilities

send from a mobile device, so typo's are to be expected :)

3. coolrunnings82

Unfortunately I didn't do that and the old OS is totally hosed... I did see the setting when trying to figure things out though so I will certainly be making a backup when I get this up and going!

4. audio catalyst

wel then you also don't know the GUID's anymore , so chances are you will have to rediscovery and add them to Esx, but at least you'll have your data : so here goes goed ol'manual

sbdadm list-lu - to list you current LUNS
    stmfadm create-lu <PATH TO LUN ><FILENAME>

then create your ISCSI target and views, and you should be able to detect them again :)
    make sure that you select "i copied" upon rescanning of the ISCSI volume, otherwise ESX will reformat !

coolrunnings82 likes this.
  5. gea

gea Well-Known Member

A iSCSI target is basically a zvol, file or a disk that is expected to be a blockdevice like a raw disk.

To make a working iSCSI target from it you need a GUID as identifier. If you have a sudden crash and have lost this identifier, you can import this "raw device" via menu Comstar > LU > import. If you know the former identifier you can enter there otherwise select a random.

This is why I added iSCSI as a ZFS filesystem property. When you create an iSCSI target via menu napp-it menu ZFS filesystems, the GUID will be part of the Zvol name what allows an activate via menu ZFS filesystems even after a crash.

Anyway, no problem,

6. coolrunnings82

Thanks for the info, guys! Will try this soon as I get back to the office!

audio catalyst likes this.
  7. coolrunnings82

Update: sbdadm list-lu didn't list anything so I went to Comstar > Logical Units > Import LU in Napp-It and imported the file from there. Once I did that, I recreated my Target, Target Group, and View and I was off to the races. Thanks for your help, @gea and @audio catalyst. I appreciate the quick responses!

audio catalyst likes this.