Napp-It re-share existing ZFS Filesystem as read-only

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kgkfxp

Mar 25, 2015
I am trying to re-share an existing zfs file-system that was shared over SMB again as a read only smb share . Without removing the existing share.

Anyone know if this is possible and how it can be done? I have tried looking for a way using the napp-it gui but it does not look like this is possible. So maybe this can be done command line?

Here is an example to be clear on what I am trying to do :
I have pool tank . with a zfs filesystem on it ( smb share ) called data ( tank/data)
I want to re-share tank/data again as tank/data-ro . But this time make it read only.
So that I have two SMB shares pointing to the same folder :

\\192.168.0.1\data
\\192.168.0.1\data-ro

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
You cannot share a filesystem twice with CIFS on Illumos/OmniOS
You may with SAMBA or Oracle Solaris CIFS 11.2.

Usually you restrict permissions based on users not shares.

kgkfxp

Mar 25, 2015
Thank you , shame it cannot be done.
I guess restricting permissions is the only option left. I had hoped I could just test something without messing with the existing permissions.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Solaris CIFS is simplicity and Windows alike behaviour.

What you can do is restricting access on share level or you can set the filesystem to read only.
This works without modifying file permissions.

kgkfxp

Mar 25, 2015
Looks like I need to re-shuffle a lot more permissions on the NAS . So I have just requested a quote to enable all the extensions for napp-it.