MZ72-HBO and EPYC 7313 -temp and fan curves

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

3nhu1

May 27, 2023
Hi all I recently purchased a gigabyte MZ72-HB0 and a EPYC 7313 as a workstation in Win11 for research use. It works well and is cooled with NH-U12S and has 3 stock chasis fans in a Meshify 2XL. I'm running it as a single CPU config for the moment.

It's the first time I've run a server CPU as a workstation config - could I ask two questions?

1. What are acceptable CPU temps for a EPYC 7313 processor?
On stress testing in Aida, in HWinfo a particular temperature CPU Die (average) appears alarmingly high (up to 101C while other values there are ~55 only).

2. What is the best way to adjust the fan curve for this mobo? The CPU fan keeps ramping up randomly at low load (from 750rpm to 1500rpm) see attached showing idle tempt and the ramping at ~62. and I desperately need to adjust this.
In the Aptio AMI bios I can't seem to find a page to set the fan curve
Then I tried going to Gigabyte Management Console - despite setting a static IP I can't seem to enter the BMC web utility
Then going via windows none of the common fan control software seem to be able to control the CPU fan.

Thank you - any help would be very appreciated!

Attachments

Last edited:

3nhu1

May 27, 2023
Fairly new to this - if I wished to enter the BMC web Utility, after setting a static IP in the bios, if I were on the same PC with a monitor connected do I still need to need to connect a Lan cable to a router?

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
ive had issues connecting to the bmc from the same pc someotimes, works fine from another one pc, i think it runs it over the same eth port depending on your setup/cabling.
the temp looks like an error, these cpus usually run pretty cool, fan curve in bmc is good though i would just adjust it to your liking.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
1. What are acceptable CPU temps for an EPYC 7313 processor?
On stress testing in Aida, in HWinfo a particular temperature CPU Die (average) appears alarmingly high (up to 101C while other CPU temp values there are ~55 only)
Don't know the exact threshold, but 101°C is certainly above that.
Then again, I would not trust HWInfo to read sensors correctly for this class of hardware. So it might just be a wrong sensor reading for now. What's the CPU clock speed doing while running your stress test?

2. What is the best way to adjust the fan curve for this mobo?
It's Gigabyte management console. It has a nice and semi-intuitive feature for setting fan curves.
Read the manuals provided in the support section on Gigabytes website for the board. Since you don't get an IP address for your BMC despite setting it to dynamic, there seems to be a problem. Possible causes:
1) Plugged in to the wrong port. It has to be the BMC management port, not one of the regular network ports.
2) Forgot to power cycle after setting it to dynamic
3) Some setting in your network switch that prevents it from assigning an IP to the board. I can not help you with that unfortunately.

Could I ask how I should set the BMC configuration (I tried setting it static but am unsure of the subnet mask and router settings) [Fig3]and if I need to connect a Lan cable to a router.
Presumably any static IP, then subnet mask 255.255.255.0, then what should I put for router and what physical connections are needed? Thank you - I asked on a server forum but they suggested flashing the ROM which I wasn't sure that should be done just yet as it may be a network setting to access this
I never used that with a static IP.
Set it to dynamic, connect a via network cable between your router and the BMC port (again, not the network ports), and power cycle. Then you should get an IP assigned that lets you connect to it.

3nhu1

May 27, 2023
Thanks grateful for spending time to answer my questions!

Yes i think the reading may be erroneous hence wishing to get into the BMC web utility to see the temperatures there. Also there is no throttling when those tests are done or when running simulations.

I was abit clueless about connecting to BMC (thanks for the troubleshoooting as you were right and I was not plugged in! So could not ping and BMC Led was on but not blinking. Also for answering my questions from the cfd forum! may have better idea how to proceed now - will connect MB to switch or router via Ethernet and set as dynamic and hope it works
For others- This thread helped and gigabyte manual helpful Asus Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI - no longer able to access IPMI portal

Last edited:

3nhu1

May 27, 2023
Thanks all! I managed to get in - so happy

It wasn't easy to access a router at uni

1) Set static IP on BIOS on current PC
IP 192.168.100.100
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Router IP set as 192.168.001.254 (but I think not relevant)

2) I connect BMC ethernet port to port of a second PC

3) For the second PC in windows under Network & Internet > Ethernet
Set Ip address 192.168.100.3
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

4) I could then login via the IP address on the second PC's browser

One last question the fan curve X-axis for my CPU is very odd
The X axis startsfrom 250 to 0 (ie goes negative) - even though this should be monitoring temperature
It is as such for CPU-0 and not CPU-1 (which is empty)
Just wondering if anyone knew why?

Attachments

Reactions: xinxinguo

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
That's the default, hence why I called it semi-intuitive.
To get temperature on the x-axis, you either have to pick a different sensor, or change the sensor type. Can't remember exactly. Click around a bit, you will find it quickly.