My Server Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jiaxinxi

Aug 23, 2017
I have been a long STH forum user. I love to play with computer,server and network equipment. It is an expensive hobby especially if you visit STH forum regularly. But compare to other hobby, this is not too bad.

In recent months, I have bought many equipments, I finally got chance to put them together when everybody is ordered to work from home. Here is my build process.

Equipment

• Rack
    • HP 22U 10622 G2 Rack
    • Bought from local seller
  • Server 1
    • Dual Xeon E5-2670
    • SuperMicro CSE-846 Chassis
    • SuperMicro X9DI-F mother board
    • SuperMicro AOC-STGN-i1S 10GB SFP card
    • 128 GB LDRIMM
    • SuperMicro PWS-920P-SQ Power supply
    • SuperMicro MCP-220-84603-0N for internal SSD
    • 10 3TB SAS hard drive
    • 600GB Intel S3500 SSD
    • LSI SAS2008 RAID card
  • Server 2
    • Lenovo TS440
    • Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1245 v3 @ 3.40GHz
    • 32GB RAM
    • 240GB Intel 730SSD
    • Mellanox Connext-x2 10Gb SFP card
    • 8 x 3.5 Hot swap bay
    • 4 x 2.5 Hot swap bay
  • UPS
    • APC Smart-UPS RM 750VA
    • APC AP9619
    • TP-Link HS110 smart switch to measure the power consumption form the wall
  • Switch
    • Aruba S2500-48P

Noise control

SuperMicro 846
  • Power supply
    • The original power supply comes with CSE846 chassis is screaming loud even if it is powered off.
    • After switch to the 920W-SQ version, it makes significant difference.
    • At least it is quite when powered off
  • Fan
    • Replace the fan wall with 3 120MM case fan zip tie together.
    • Replace the rear 2 80 MM fan with 3 80MM fan
    • Add two 120 MM fan on top of each passive cooler

IMG_5662.jpg

The noise is better, but now the main noise come from the 10 SAS 7200RPM hard drive. I don't think there is any way to control the noise of the hard drive. May replace with lower RPM hard drives later.

Lenovo TS440 Server

There is no change made to this server. The noise is at acceptable level

Switch

The original fan come with Aruba S2500 will scream loud when boot up, but after a while, it will a lot quieter. @ViciousXUSMC made some great videos to talk about the fan mode and the initial config. If you want to mod the switch to be dead silent, please follow his video here

Software

I initially wanted to play some vmware (esxi 7) eco system, but I have some trouble to even get it working.
Since I have access to Win server 2019 license, both servers installed with Windows Server 2019

Switch Configuration

Below are quote from ViciousXUSMC post. It has been really helpful to me.

HUGE thanks to ViciousXUSMC to get me going. Here's some text added to his comments that might help a newbie like me enable all four 10Gb ports.

These steps use standard Ethernet cables to configure.

There is a menu button on the front that can be used to launch a quick setup GUI mode. This kicks off a DHCP service and a 10 minute timer.

Connect your machine to the switch (using a regular port on the front, not the rear management port) and let your machine pull and IP from the switch's DHCP, or manually give yourself an IP that is 172.16.0.1 up to 172.16.0.253. (Do not otherwise connect your machine to your network.)

The switch itself will be at 172.16.0.254.

Use a web browser to go to: 172.16.0.254
do quick setup, mainly set passwords:
1) admin/admin123 (these are aruba defaults)
2) enable password: enable
3) set DHCP option to allow your router to do it
push setup

After it pushes, connect ethernet cables as you normally would to your network.
Remove your manually set IP if you did that step on your machine.

Use web browser to go to: 192.168.0.252 (or whatever your router/DHCP assigned to the switch)
login: admin/admin123
note yellow stacking icons on two of the 10GB interfaces

use putty to go to switch IP (192.168.0.252), SSH mode
admin / admin123

type: enable
password: enable

Then follow with the commands:
delete stacking interface stack 1/2
delete stacking interface stack 1/3
Setup MTU Jumbo Frame
From Putty command terminal

Code:
Configure Terminal
Interface -interface
Description -name
Mtu 9216
Setup MTU for each 10Gb SFP port

10Gb Connectivity Test

Downloaded iperf

By default Win Server 2019 firewall disable all ICMP message, so you can't even ping the server. This got me for a while. I thought I made some mistake on the switch configuration.

So to run the test, I temporarily disabled the firewall on both servers.

On server 1 run
Code:
iperf3 -s
On server 2 run
Code:
.\iperf3.exe -c 192.168.1.166 -P 10
1588132141120.png
The initial result shows about 7Gbit/s connect speed

That is still far from 10Gbit/s. It is not enough to just change the switch MTU. The MTU on the network card also needs to be changed
1588132234388.png
1588132282451.png

Once the MTU of both cards are setup to 9014, the connect bandwidth is almost 10Gbit/s

1588132351303.png

Finally, I am able to see the 10Gbit/s speed.

Coping a large file from server 1 SSD to server 2 SSD.

Hard drive will cap at ~ 100MB/S

1588132412640.png

1.13GB/s

I am very happy to see that number. I plan to connect my Synology DS 1517+ with the switch so that they all can benefit from the 10Gbit bandwidth.

1588132601482.png1588132626542.png

Concerns

The biggest concerns are noise and power consumption
Even after the modifications, the noise of the rack is still pretty high. Wife acceptance is almost at limit. I have to unplug the SAS hard drive to reduce the noise. There really is no other place in my house with AC to hide this rack since it is so big. For this reason, I need to have a dedicated server room with AC in my next house so that I don't have to worry about the noise.

Power Consumption

When everything is up and running, HS110 reports almost 700Watt from the wall. The 750W UPS is unable to catch up the power draw. Once everything boots up, the power draw stays at about 400W. That is still a lot of electricity. In Texas, the electricity is about 10 cents per KWH, that is about $400 per year. It might make sense to invest on newer more power efficient hardware, the saving on electricity will pay it back in few years.

Weight

With everything installed, the rack becomes very heavy. Due to the limitation of my house layout, I have to put it on second floor. I start to worry about the weight of the whole rack. According to some building code, the minimum weight limit per sqft for second floor is 40 pound/sqft. I think the rack weight less than 1000 pound right now. So it should be ok.

Conclusion

Overall, I am happy with what I have so far other than the noise and power consumption. Since I am on Windows Server 2019, I plan to create play with Hyper-V virtual machines and Dockers containers. It seems like a lot of fun ahead.

Thanks for your reading!

Last edited:
Reactions: nikalai

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Fellow Texan here (ATX), your concerns are the exact reason I consolidated down my equipment.
Was at a 25U rack full, now down to 2 full towers, and a switch.
I managed to decrease heat generation by probably 10x, power usage down by about 5x, and noise from a jet engine to a whisper (the wife doesnt even complain about them running in the living room behind the couch), but I had to give up about 4 drive slots and redundant power.
All in all a reasonable trade to have my full stack only use about 300w (and I'm dropping that down shortly with some better efficiency CPUs).
Good luck and enjoy!

Jiaxinxi

Aug 23, 2017
Second thought of this. The 1.13GB/s transfer speed can't be from the SSD directly. The maximum read speed of that SSD cap at 550MB/s

So it has to be some caching going on.

Jiaxinxi

Aug 23, 2017
Fellow Texan here (ATX), your concerns are the exact reason I consolidated down my equipment.
Was at a 25U rack full, now down to 2 full towers, and a switch.
I managed to decrease heat generation by probably 10x, power usage down by about 5x, and noise from a jet engine to a whisper (the wife doesnt even complain about them running in the living room behind the couch), but I had to give up about 4 drive slots and redundant power.
All in all a reasonable trade to have my full stack only use about 300w (and I'm dropping that down shortly with some better efficiency CPUs).
Good luck and enjoy!
Yeah, it starts to make a lot of sense now to invest on an bigger synology box. Not with HDD, but with all flash storage.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
i got 60TB I aint buying that much flash lol
iperf is essentially using tcp/udp to test the latecy and throughput capabilities, its not using storage to do an actual transfer (or if it is its using ram as a buffer).

Jiaxinxi

Aug 23, 2017
1588474536124.png

I tried again to copy a batch of new big files over to the other server, It is still reach 1.10GB/s

The cache is definitely in play because the SSD max at 600MB/s

I didn't explicitly setup any cache. Win Server 2019 must have some caching setup automatically.

Curious to know what setting controls that

DaveJ

May 3, 2020
Can you clarify what "acceptable noise level" is for your TS440? Does the addition of the Mellanox card cause any difference in the fan speeds? I have a TS440 as well and have not had much luck adding non-Lenovo hardware to it without the fans going nuts.

Jiaxinxi

Aug 23, 2017
Can you clarify what "acceptable noise level" is for your TS440? Does the addition of the Mellanox card cause any difference in the fan speeds? I have a TS440 as well and have not had much luck adding non-Lenovo hardware to it without the fans going nuts.
I am able to get Mellanox 10Gb card working fine. The fan doesn't go crazy. I measured the noise using an app on phone.

The TS440 noise level is about 38 db. When AC is running, the noise level is about 40ish. So it is lower than the AC noise.