My GPD Pocket Adventure

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
In the late 1990's I rocked an Apple Newton and a Toshiba Libretto 50CT. I have had Macbook Airs, Eee PC's, tablets and all kinds of mobile devices through the years. At GTC 2018 I saw someone with a GPD Pocket and knew, it was time for another adventure.

GPD Pocket Next to 1.6TB SAS SSDs and Intel Xeon Skylake-SP.jpg
(Note 1.6TB SAS3 SSDs and the Skylake-SP Intel Xeon Scalable CPU for size)

It arrived today. I plan to use it for two months or so. There is a two week period where I have three round trips out of the country starting at the end of May. One of those will be Computex in Taipei where there are often crowded arenas, lots of walking in the heat and humidity, and the HP Zbook Studio G3 is just going to be too bulky for walking around the multitude of show floors. Of course, I could use a tablet, but this seems more interesting.

The other major use case I want to try is as an in-data center tool. Portable Windows and x86 is a good combination.

The GPD Pocket has a 128GB local eMMC drive, Intel Atom x7-Z8750 quad core CPU, and 8GB of RAM. I did not get it on the Indiegogo instead needing immediate gratification I ordered via Amazon.

Impressions from the first 30 minutes:
  • I was surprised that the little active cooling fan is louder than expected even while charging.
  • The keyboard I am starting to dread. I wish it was backlit for planes on longer routes.
  • This was my first installation with Cortana going through the menus. That was actually usable. If voice input is a usable feature, that will help.
  • The track point device reminds me of older laptops. The saving grace is that today's iteration comes alongside a touchscreen.
The $600 adventure begins.

Reactions: Leonardo Rassi

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I used to use the old HP devices for serial console on Cisco and enterprise sever gear years ago, there used to be a lot of these small devices available in japan, eg Sony but for local market only.

Cute but limited, if you didn’t need x86 and a console a fold up Bluetooth keyboard and an iPhone would be an alternative.

I am surprised it even has active cooling , I live the silence of MacBook 12” and no fans !

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Adventures in updating took forever. However, this is the real reason to do this. I bring you Ubuntu on Windows via Windows Subsystem for Linux on a 7" laptop with a keyboard. 8GB of RAM to run things on the road.
GPD Pocket Ubuntu on Windows via WSL.jpg

Reactions: Peanuthead