My first OI - napp-it build and getting smb to work

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Spook

Jan 11, 2012
Hi out there.

First of all sorry for the long post, I just wanted to provide as much info as possible.

I have just started my first home server build based on the following:

The facts.
The server is an Opteron 242, Adaptec 2820sa raid controller, 2x 186G and 1x 1T hard drive and 1x 80G SSD. The SSD is connected to the motherboard Sata and is the boot disk and first ESXi datastore. The other drives are connected to the raid card. The case is a rack mounted storage case which can hold up to 16 drives. I will shortly have a few more 1T hard drives to add to the machine. I've recently started to swap out the fans for quieter ones so it doesn't sound like a cyclone.

The goal.
The primary purpose of the server is to act as storage for the other machines (and an xbox) on my home network (documents, movies, music etc). Secondary purpose is to try and configure a few VM's to further my understanding of networking etc.

The story so far.
I tried by trial and error to get the most recent version of Esxi running on the old hardware. The most recent version that would successfully run was 3.5. Not a deal breaker for me as this is essentially a self learning project for me anyhow. 5 and 4 failed to install.

Once getting Esxi up and running I set about creating a new server and installing OpenIndiana. I essentially followed the steps as outlined on the www.napp-it.org website. In particular the instructions for the all in one. Note i had to make allowances for the limitations of my hardware

After a few learning hick-ups (I forgot I had the server in maintenance mode at one stage), so far so good. Now I seem to have the server up and running adequately. I can log in via the napp-it web interface and change settings etc.

The question
The trouble I now have is accessing the server form my other machine on the network. I have configured SMB and added users. I can ping the server IP okay from the cmd line but cannot get the connected to the server from windows 7. I keep getting a username or password error.

Is anyone able to help me trouble shoot this final step?

Please let me know if I am missing something obvious from the following. So far I have tried:

* created a user called "Fred", password "1password" (not really, but assume so for the purposes of the example), which allows me to log into the OpenIndiana virtual machine via esxi.
* created a user via the napp-it web interface called "Fred", password "1password", and added this user to the smb group "administrator"
Then on my windows 7 machine (user "Fred", password "2password") I go to windows explorer and attempt to map a network drive ('Z:') using the map network drive tool. I select connect using different credentials and enter the user name "Fred" and "1password" and check remember these settings. The details I have tried for the server are the following

* \\openindiana\first\OIDataStore, and
* \\192.168.123.166\first\OIDataStore
both give the following error "windows cannot access .....".
As an aside I note in the "all in one" instructions they recommend against using the IP address of the server.

To confirm the name of the server, with in the napp-it interface, I go to "system, network, hostname" and the default is "openindiana"

I have spent quite a while reading the Open Solaris manual but at this stage I'm not really sure of what I am looking for and dont know if I should be trying to trouble shoot via napp-it or via the server.

If I can get this working as I hope I can I will be inspired to acquire newer hardware and build a far more capable machine. Most likely based on a small Xeon cpu, supermicro board and m1015 raid cards.

Thanks in advance.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I suppose, its a permission problem.
Per default, only the owner of the share (root) has access

So try to login as root or set ACL for Fred (Fred=full or everyone@=full) with the napp-it acl extension