Multiple IP's / virtual machines / performance

leerees

Member
Feb 15, 2018
51
2
8
42
Hi Guys,

I have proliant 380p's and want to setup each server to do the following tasks.

Run a computationally intensive app that will utilise 95% of the CPU's resources (machine learning / AI), the rest of the CPU power will be used for the following:

Run 16 virtual machines that will need GUI's as they will all be performing a low intensity browser based task (running a webpage). Each of these 16 virtual machines must have it's own public IP address (can be dynamically assigned). Security is not an issue here so high risk solutions are ok too.

I don't actually need any actual server related tasks (file sharing etc) the only reason I have the servers is for the performance of 2 xeons plus the fact I got them cheap.

My question is simple, is XEN the route I should go down?

My Xeons support hardware virtualisation.

p.s. Windows solutions are also fine however that would be a second choice due to linux being free
 
Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
12,364
5,496
113
Linux + KVM.

If you just want something easy, Proxmox has a management GUI where you can create VMs as well.

XenServer free has seen a significant reduction in features as they try pushing people to standard
 

K D

Well-Known Member
Dec 24, 2016
1,439
320
83
30041
Not sure I follow. 95% utilization in one VM and the remaining 5% for 16 other VMs? I think this is going cause serious CPU constraints for the 16 VMS making them potentially unusable.