mSATA with PLP?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Any1 know of any INTEL mSATA drives with power loss protection?

tubeamps

Dec 1, 2014
The Intel 530 claims End to End protection. It is a Sandforce drive and like most or all Sandforce drives there is no cache. Worth noting it only goes to 240GB

Also, with the exception of Samsung that doesn't seem to resell their NAND often or at all, the enterprise drives I have seen lately all use Intel or Toshiba NAND. As I'm sure you know there are qualities of both, so consider choosing a slightly older, but proven technology.

Intel is my SATA brand of choice, but I've had good luck with the Micron M550 msata. I saw posts menntioning that PLP might be questionable, on this drive. I haven't read much about the M600. Also look into MyDigitalSSD

There are also MSATA to M.2 Adapters. I have no experience with these. It may work, but may not be bootable. I have a similar situation with a 256GB Samsung proprietary N.2 slot in a PCIe x x4 adaptor. It works great, but isn't bootable from a C226 board.

tubeamps

Dec 1, 2014
What is your intended use?

The Intel 530 claims End to End protection. It is a Sandforce drive and like most or all Sandforce drives there is no cache. Worth noting max capacity is 240GB I believe.

Also, with the exception of Samsung (that doesn't seem to resell their NAND often or at all), the enterprise drives I have seen lately all use Intel or Toshiba NAND. As I'm sure you know there are qualities/BINs of both, so consider choosing a slightly older, but proven technology.

Intel is my SATA brand of choice, but I've had good luck with the Micron M550 msata. I saw posts mentioning that PLP might be questionable, on this drive. I still mounted it in a USB3 Enclosure, enabled bitlocker and rand multiple VMs from a 128GB drive. The drive got warn, but I tried to set it on metal to act as a heatsink. I haven't read much about the M600. Also look into MyDigitalSSD. They use a lot of technologies. On one run they had an accidental run of drives with high end/enterprise drives with Toshiba NAND (and I think PLP). This was a limited run, but some might still be around.

Sandisks business line also appears decent and some of it has PLP, but I don't think they use Intel NAND.

There are also MSATA to M.2 Adapters. I have no experience with these. It may work, but may not be bootable. I have a similar situation with a 256GB Samsung proprietary N.2 slot in a PCIe x x4 adaptor. It works great, but isn't bootable from a C226 board.

I also wonder about the necessity of PLP in most cases. Yes, for an SLOG/write cache PLP is good. On the other hand look at how many consumer Samsung drives are hanging in there without PLP. Could the controller be using something like COW to minimize issues?

Another option is to turn off the disk cache and PLP is unnecessary. Some drives handle this much better than others.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Yeah, the 530 is as close as I've found.

This is a random use case, I have PCIE adapter and just want to throw a MSATA SSD in something that may already have the SATA ports full. I'm playing around with additional SSD options (USB, PCIE/MSATA adapter) just to see what's viable.

Was hoping to find an INtel with PLP & End To End Protection but not finding any, guess I'll snag a 530 for cheap next go-around.