mounting options - CSE-PTJBOD-CB2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

grok9600

Apr 5, 2024
I recently just purchased a controller board that I heard was recommended and I see people have them for the CSE846 but I am having issues actually figuring out where to mount the board inside the chassis. Has anyone with the CSE 846 or similar ran into issues and found a solution for mounting board when the standoffs don't line up? Only able to line up one of the standoffs unless I line up with the larger diameter holes on the chassis but then the standoffs don't fit

Attachments

Last edited:

grok9600

Apr 5, 2024
yeah that didn't help much; these are the only holes that line up and they are too big for included standoffs with the chassis

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
yeah that didn't help much; these are the only holes that line up and they are too big for included standoffs with the chassis
my recollection on the big holes is that those were a hold over to when the CPU heatsinks got mounted through to the chassis rather than the motherboard and SM elected to dual purpose those holes. Should be 8 of them roughly in line across the front of the motherboard. I salvaged those standoffs (different than the mobo standoffs) when I purchased some old compellent SC040 head units (CSE-836) and e-wasted the innards.

I remembering lining up one of the JBOD power board in the 836 and having an ah-ha moment both for the mount and salvaging the correct standoffs for those holes.

grok9600

Apr 5, 2024
MCP-110-00070-0N did not work. Was bummed today when I found that out..if anyone has the part # for the correct standoffs, I would appreciate. Otherwise, I am considering just buying one of those cheap bulk standoff / screw kits

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
If you have a 3d printer and know how to design stuff, you can try to print standoffs yourself.

grok9600

Apr 5, 2024
I will probably just go with an old F series board before I go that route. Just to make sure before I do that, these don't require the CPU/RAM if all I need is access to the IPMI and using as essentially a power board? I did find a brand new X8SIE-F with IPMI 2.0 for $30 that I could pickup and could send back the other power board and save $60 and be able to control the fan speed

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
This is an option, just be mindful of the increased power consumption, which the MB will use to heat up all the unused components.

grok9600

Apr 5, 2024
Thanks, sounds like I will go that route for now. If the CB3 ever becomes available, perhaps I will switch over to that for the decreased power consumption, but hopefully I wouldn't be dealing with another repeat issue as I did with the CB2 and mounting it

grok9600

Apr 5, 2024
Very cool, I will remember that in case I ever need something like that again. Going the regular motherboard route currently and just going to use it as a power board with IPMI.

Micro

Oct 20, 2019
You could just drill and tap where the standoffs need to be. I've done that on many a case.

Nnyan

Mar 5, 2012
If I don't have the standoff adhesive pads that Dave Corder mentioned just any 1/4" foam cut to size. Put on the bottom of the board and then just one screw to the best mount near the PSU through the foam.