Mount supermicro rails in startech rack

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

meyerovb

Oct 14, 2012
I have a startech 4 post rack that has C shaped posts (http://goo.gl/DFcii). It seems a 'standard' rack should have L shaped posts (http://goo.gl/JEKnD). I cannot mount the rails for the 2u supermicro server into my rack because it seems to be designed to fit only in the L shaped post (http://i.snag.gy/WhvRg.jpg). My 1u dell servers rails mount fine though. Are there different rails I can use to mount the 2u superserver?

Thanks

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Really dumb question, can you mount them on the second set of posts? (Never tried this but that would be on my short list of things to try.)

meyerovb

Oct 14, 2012
Really dumb question, can you mount them on the second set of posts? (Never tried this but that would be on my short list of things to try.)
The posts are too close together, I'd have to unmount everything and extend the rack, huge pain. Even if I did that, the rails were designed to interlock with the front of the server, which would be blocked by the other half of the post, so they wouldn't slide all the way in.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The posts are too close together, I'd have to unmount everything and extend the rack, huge pain. Even if I did that, the rails were designed to interlock with the front of the server, which would be blocked by the other half of the post, so they wouldn't slide all the way in.
Makes sense. I hadn't looked at the i.snaggy pic yet.

meyerovb

Oct 14, 2012
For anyone experiencing this issue in the future: you have received the new 'quick rails' from supermicro, you must create an rma on their site (using your server's serial number) and tell them that the quick rails don't work for you, you need the old rails.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
For anyone experiencing this issue in the future: you have received the new 'quick rails' from supermicro, you must create an rma on their site (using your server's serial number) and tell them that the quick rails don't work for you, you need the old rails.
Great info! I have only used the new quick rails once for the Tom's piece. Probably why that was not top of mind.

Tim

Nov 7, 2012
First of all, great to have this information so that others know what to look for and solve the issue.
So a big thank you for both the images and the solution.

I too have the startech 4post rack. And yes, the C shaped post do get in the way sometimes.
Mine is fully extended so the length of the rails would not be a problem for me.
I don't have a SM chassis yet but might end up with one in the next few months. HP, Norco chassis and other parts for now.

I don't know what you mean with "designed to interlock with the front of the server".
Do the chassis need to reach some part of the rails in order to stay put in the rack?
What's the downside of the chassis not sliding all the way in on the rails?

If you mean that the chassis has screws to hold it in place to the post/rails you could allways use a cage nut on the front post for that?
(I do that with my IBM KMM)

Do you have the part number for the rails you returned so I can check the PDF for alternative mounting options?
From the pictures I like the new rails better then the old ones so was hoping that they fit the startech 4postrack too.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Just to chip in here.

I have a 42U rack with L posts and have just fitted a set of Supermicro rails on my chassis (see sig).

The chassis part of the 3 part rails screw to the side of the chassis. There are 4x L-pieces, 2x long & 2x short. The short pieces are for the front of the rack and the long pieces are for the rear. These L-pieces screw to the other part of the runners. The L-Pieces have slots in them so they can easily be adjusted for different front to back cabinet sizes. The fixings that come with the rails assume you have cage nuts already. I ended up using bolts to secure.

So you put your two sets of runners in place with the two L-pieces attached loosely. Screw in the front of the L-pieces to the cabinet posts (front and back) and then tighten the screws between the L-pieces and the rails. Once secure you can slide in the server matching the rail part on the server chassis with the part secured to the cabinet.

All done.

A possibly clearer guide with pictures is in the manual for the chassis I have available here. Section 5-4.

Personally I am wondering if I can get a set for my Norco chassis as pulling the chassis out to work on would be great. I also may look for some cable retention arms. The HP ones are not that expensive new (to my great surprise).

RB

james23

Nov 18, 2014
sorry to bring up an old thread, but the picts here are dead/404 and im looking at buying (i think) the same rack as OP but in 36U size, this is the rack im looking to buy( 36u).
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...002RYYY7C/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I will ofcourse be mounting supermicro equipment (only SM servers), and in the amazon reviews, some ppl did say they had issues but with DELL rails, and the few said it was due to the wrong DEPTH ? of this rack (but you can adjust its depth from 18.5" to 35.2" ?? so im confused). none of the reviews say yes/no to supermicro rails specifically though.

Im hoping someone with more rack experience than I can chime in. To be clear i will only be mounting SM servers in this (2u , 3u , 4u SMs), and all the SM rails kits i have are the quick mount type (the ones you can slide to adjust the rail depth).

ie here is one example of a SM kit i have and hope to use with this rack:
MCP-290-00058-0N
https://store.supermicro.com/2u-5u-rail-kit-mcp-290-00058-0n.html

Can anyone for-see any issues? thanks

(edit- unless i hear some good news here on the 36u, i may just get this different version from startech, but at 42u, its 350$ , and i really wanted 36U so that its shorter overall, however this different model 42u does not seem to suffer from the same server racking issues:
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...0HVKOPBW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pdt_img_sims?ie=UTF8

Last edited:

kapone

May 23, 2015
The Supermicro 2U+ rails (like you've shown) will not fit in any 4 post rack that has C/U shaped mounting posts...without some dremel work. :) You essentially have to cut off the second set of of posts. The rails are designed for L shaped posts.