Motion Sensor + Camera + Alert

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Last year I installed 2 motion sensors on my driveway, they beep in the house when an animal\person\car goes by... they both died about 2 months ago, even though they had a 'hood' for snow\rain protection.

I'd like to replace them with something a little better.

My goals are:

- 2 Sensors.
-- 1 simply does an audible beep
-- 2nd does a double beep + activates cameras (and possibly turns on screen in house to show said camera)
- Alert\Beep in the house
- Activate Cameras in that area (2 for now)
- Waterproof\SnowProof
- 6Mo worth of batteries (lithium ideally, the other lead acid leaked too)

I prefer to "DIY" as little as possible and would like to integrate into my Unifi camera system if possible, but I'm open to ideas to get this type of security added.

Dawg10

Associate
Dec 24, 2016
How about setting a camera to alert/ record upon motion detection? I've been playing with 'file execution upon alert' in iSpy...

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
How about setting a camera to alert/ record upon motion detection? I've been playing with 'file execution upon alert' in iSpy...
The cameras are 100ft+ from where motion will be. (Gate\Fence).

Dawg10

Associate
Dec 24, 2016
The cameras are 100ft+ from where motion will be. (Gate\Fence).
I take it you don't have line-of-sight to where the motion happens...

What recording software are you familiar with? I try out everything I can get my hands on. iSpy allows me to draw boxes over the video picture that act as triggers when motion is detected. It allows the setting of a motion threshold and has several filter options to reduce/ eliminate false alarms. I've recently started dialing in the alarms etc and am quite happy with the level of control it gives me. I have one cam configured in software with a long narrow box that acts as a geofence, alarming/ recording when something crosses the line; this trigger can also be used to activate recording on other cameras, send emails, execute scripts...

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015

What recording software are you familiar with? I try out everything I can get my hands on. iSpy allows me to draw boxes over the video picture that act as triggers when motion is detected. It allows the setting of a motion threshold and has several filter options to reduce/ eliminate false alarms. I've recently started dialing in the alarms etc and am quite happy with the level of control it gives me. I have one cam configured in software with a long narrow box that acts as a geofence, alarming/ recording when something crosses the line; this trigger can also be used to activate recording on other cameras, send emails, execute scripts...
That sounds awesome I'll have to look into that software!

I need to try my new IR illuminating leds they really made it bright in my tests that may help nighttime motion sensing and quality too.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX

I imagine most major camera systems/software have those features.
Or at least the two I've tried also have that hikvision cameras and ubiquiti cameras (unifi video).

Dawg10

Associate
Dec 24, 2016
I imagine most major camera systems/software have those features.
Or at least the two I've tried also have that hikvision cameras and ubiquiti cameras (unifi video).
Recording software developed by a camera manufacturer is restricted to their own brand of camera. This is fine if you buy into their paradigm; Ubiquiti comes to mind as a plug and play setup. Third party NVR software will accept most vendors cams but requires more work to (a) access the cam's internal menus, and (b) get the right recording stream integrated into the NVR environment; iSpy and BlueIris are good at this.

I've been running iSpy software for >2 years now; others I have tested/ rejected are from Arecont, Axis, BlueIris, c-mor, EnGenius, Hikvision, Interlogix, Lorex, March, Milesight, Milestone, OnCam, QSee, Samsung, Shinobi, VDGSense, Video Insight and Vivotek. None has beat out iSpy to the point I would change; BlueIris was close but VM performance sucked, and I'd like to try the ESXi version of VDGSense but they won't return my emails. VDGSense can manipulate panoramic views, and I have two Arecont 4-lens cams waiting for deployment, one 360 degree and the other 180.

I use cheap e-bay cams, some new but mostly used. Cheap as in <50 Canuckian pesos and try to buy in lots of 4 or more for <100. Presently testing 2x SGB 4MP units; these use Hikvision electronics & firmware (Linux 3.18.30) but only cost 59 pesos new. The downside to using many cheap and often old cameras is the need to use many different setup programs, often restricted to 32-bit operating systems. I have a couple XP-Pro VMs loaded up with tools to talk with cams and practice a lot with Wireshark. My go-to field laptop is an ancient ToughBook CF29 on XP.

The iSpy VM is 8vcpu/ 24GB (45%/ 2GB used) and records 16 cams 24/7 to a XigmaNAS instance with 4x 4TB 12Gbs SAS drives on a passed-through LSI9300 controller. Both iSpy and XigmaNAS reside on the same SSD and are the only programs running on a 8c/ 96GB Dell R420. 10Gbe throughout the rack and 1Gbe from there, with wifi kept to the absolute minimum. All my cams are 10/100 so bandwidth isn't an issue unless I put 4 cams on wifi with a shitty link...

There's also a second instance of iSpy running on a Dell 3020 desktop in the office. This instance is configured identical to the VM copy; its primary use is to display-all cams locally, but can record-all to the NAS with one click should the VM stutter. This configuration unloads the graphics demand from the server to a desktop with a decent GPU.

iSpy meets most of my needs but I don't like the subscription model required for sending emails and viewing cams remotely. Workarounds I am exploring are executing Powershell scripts upon alert and viewing video over VPN, along with streaming via private website. All this in the pursuit of cam happiness... We plan on selling the property (80 acres, 20 minutes from a million people) in a few years and hope to have the hard infrastructure in place by then; cams are junk but there's reliable connectivity everywhere...

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
That much infra just sold me on getting some ring cameras on a segregated network + an extra ubiquiti AP so I don't have to store it. I have 25u and 120TB of too much stuff as it is (TBF I only need like 3-4 cameras so my break even is alot lower)

Reactions: Dawg10