Monitor repair - Chicago

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Does anyone repair monitors anymore? I would imagine maybe an electronics repair place, but I've not heard of this recently :/

Reactions: Samir

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I stopped commercially repairing monitors after the first half dozen cfl tube swaps :)

Anything beyond a power supply repair now is just not economical, for me or a customer. I still do my own and an odd one for friends, but modern monitors are just e-waste in waiting. If you do find anywhere still doing repairs, they are almost certainly swapping in used boards, rather than performing component level repairs to the original, again, economics. Good luck though!

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
You could do this to partially reduce repair cost to be economical:
1) visually inspect to find bad solders and/or blown caps
2) use a basic multimeter to find and trace shorts
if you're lucky and find a board that has an issue, you could send it to component repair places like Rossmann Repair or similar. Solder Tools, IPC Training, PCB Rework and Solder Certification | BEST Inc
there are many YouTube videos to help you along.

Disclaimer: Last time I did something similar to my old plasma TV, I spent around $100 between repair and shipping after I found the offending faulty Y-Amp board/chip. If you fully outsource the repair, it probably won't be worth it for you. Instead, spend on a brand new monitor.

Reactions: Samir and T_Minus

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Rossmann Group is only doing Apple gear and data recovery afair. And these days he's relocated to Austin, Texas to teach self-repair. So I guess if you are in the neighbourhood, might drive there and see if Louis himself helps you solder that monitor back into working order. ;-)

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Rossmann Group is only doing Apple gear and data recovery afair. And these days he's relocated to Austin, Texas to teach self-repair. So I guess if you are in the neighbourhood, might drive there and see if Louis himself helps you solder that monitor back into working order. ;-)
This Is the shop I've (successfully ) used in the past to repair my tv: Coppell TV Repair LLC (also in Texas)