Monero Mining Performance

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
@Klee That are very interesting and in-depth observations. I do understand, that it doesn't make much sense to load one module with two threads; the shared ressources, the 2 MB L2 cache a module. But the even vs. odd thing is still very strange.

Whereas, the mining software and/or the OS scheduler seems to play a role, as well. You observed the max hashrate at 7 threads with xmr-stak-cpu. With xmrig by contrast I got the highest hashrate with 8 threads; with 7 threads not much lower (305 vs. 297 H/s with Opteron 4284), but not the drop you observed.

But you are right: Bulldozer has an extraordinary hashrate per module. Not even the AMD Zen arch, which performs very well with Monero, has such high hashrates per core. Otherwise, Bulldozer was trimmed by AMD far above its sweetspot regarding efficiency. To get max hashrate per watt, Bulldozer would have to be driven at much lower speed and Vcore.

If you don't have to care about wattage and acquisition costs are your primary criterion, the Bulldozers at eBay might be an insider tip...
I have been thinking of underclocking it to see if the power usage drops more than the hash rate but its my daughters gaming pc and she hates when I mess with it, but one day I will.

spfoo

May 23, 2017
I don't have a clue why, its just my observation.

Notice anything odd?

First of all I used both odd and even cores at the same time.

I really would like to play around with a Opteron 16 core and cheap motherboard.
I've played for some time with 12 and 16 core Opterons. You will be in for a disappointment. They behave very strangely indeed. Not much performance difference between 12 or 16 core CPU with similar speeds. The problems are the same as you describe for your AMDs - the shared cache. Also there's the same issue with even/odd cores performance difference that you reported. They also start to eat up power if they heat up - just going from 40 to 50 C you'll see a difference. Go over 55C or 60C and power consumption turns exponential. Intel seems to be really far ahead in power management.

brainbudt

Oct 6, 2017
here are 2 benchamrks
i7 4770k stock settings with locked memory 250h using 60 watts 260H
i7 6700k Oced to 46 clock and cash to 45 using 50 watss 300 -330H

my question is are all those benchmark without locked memory?
and witch CPu do you recommend for desktop usage and mining ? (so no xeons)

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Stak is 2%
I thought Stak is now configurable to 0 if you wanted?

I'd also like to know after a day or 3 of mining what the total is at the pool.

What's reported in mine and what the pool is logging are not always the same. That's something I'm concerned more with using closed sourced miners

brainbudt

Oct 6, 2017
I'm currently mining on suprnova, but I'm not getting all the coins I should get.
with intotal 580h/z I just get 0.0090 xmr and "whattomine.com" is saying that I should get around the 0.01 xmr a day.

witch pool are you guys using?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@brainbudt - dwarfpool for a long time now.

If you have a smaller pool and a lower hashrate it varies more.

My current hashrate is "Current approx.speed 29.89 khs"

Dwarfpool is 18268KH/s
Monero network is 260765KH/s

You have to remember a few things when looking at miner speed and pool speed:
  • Miner dev fee
  • Pool fee
  • Invalid/ rejected shares
Usually, a best case mining v. actual is a few percent off. It is ugly, but this is a decent calculator DwarfPool

moxford

Apr 24, 2017
As a newbie to all of this ... I have a older LGA1366 box that's my VM/storage machine and a couple X5680 (with AES-NI). It's a 4U SM846, double 1k PS and a bunch of PCI slots. Maybe do something CPU-based alongside something GPU based? This isn't going to compete anywhere near the new stuff, obviously, but is it worth mining on it or just a complete waste of cash/time/effort?

Thanks!

RBE

Sep 5, 2017
@moxford It all depends how you define worth. If you are looking at mining for fun and to learn a few things, then go for it. If you intend to mine for profit however, the fact you already have hardware is good, but free electricity would be better. If you want to do more than cover your costs, then the value of the cryptocurrency you mine will need to increase in value over time. This is debatable.

moxford

Apr 24, 2017
@RBE The server is sitting there sucking power anyways ... just wondering if I can make enough to offset the power costs, or if it is so inefficient that it wouldn't even do that. =)

RBE

Sep 5, 2017
2x Intel Xeon X5675 = 340H/s (Fractal)
Not sure if your X5680 is comparable to the X5675 above, but if so, you are looking at 680H/s from your four CPUs. Punch that number into the dwarfpool profit calculator which you can find here and see...