Modding/upgrading Arista switches?

Manbeard

Apr 15, 2020
Indianapolis, IN
Did you purchase your switch from someone on the board?
No, unfortunately, I ended up on eBay as I've been in a bit of a hurry. I've been trying to knock out a project to expand my storage server by adding a disk shelf (DS4246) and upgrading my network to 10Gbps to better support transferring large amounts of data and eventually VM storage. I've been a STH lurker for a few years but only just signed up for the forum. I use to work for an R&E NOC and had contacts for Juniper to update my EX2200 as much as I could, but this is my first venture into Arista and don't have the network (pun intended) of contacts that I do for Juniper, Brocade, Cisco, and Ciena.

Reactions: SRussell

Biberlu

May 17, 2020
Hi all, I'm new here, being following this thread for some time. My 7050T-64 arrived several days ago. I tear up the switch and decided to upgrade memory first. I picked up a pair of 8GB 1.35V DDR3 and works! Here is the memory stick I use: Two of Kingston KVR16LN11/8.

Next step is storage. Besides the USB Dom, there are one SATA and one PCI-E x1 connectors on my switch board. Does anyone know the speed of SATA and PCI-E generation on this board? And for those who has upgrade to SATA SSD, how do you make a fixed position? (No M.2 connector on my board.)

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Hi all, I'm new here, being following this thread for some time. My 7050T-64 arrived several days ago. I tear up the switch and decided to upgrade memory first. I picked up a pair of 8GB 1.35V DDR3 and works! Here is the memory stick I use: Two of Kingston KVR16LN11/8.

Next step is storage. Besides the USB Dom, there are one SATA and one PCI-E x1 connectors on my switch board. Does anyone know the speed of SATA and PCI-E generation on this board? And for those who has upgrade to SATA SSD, how do you make a fixed position? (No M.2 connector on my board.)
the PCIe slot is not PCIe, it's a proprietary debug port that arista just happened to use a PCIe 1x connector for. Was trying to get doom running on one of these switches and was disappointed to find this out

Reactions: Biberlu

Biberlu

May 17, 2020
the PCIe slot is not PCIe, it's a proprietary debug port that arista just happened to use a PCIe 1x connector for. Was trying to get doom running on one of these switches and was disappointed to find this out
Got it! Thank you so much for saving my time to investigate.