Modding the case for a T730 thin client

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lukemunozic

Mar 18, 2021
Has anyone tried or advice on how to create a custom chassis / enclosure for the t730 fat client. I have one and would like to make into my nas by adding a sata pcie card but the issue is the ability to put HDD or SSD due to space. is there custom cases available either as projects or as aa ready built product. I guess I could try my hand at making one but at this point I've come to accept that reinventing the wheel is stupid unless you have a good reason to.

PD_ZFS-User

Jul 13, 2018
lukemunozic,

I have an HP t740 and I’ve considered trying to do that as well. However, I don’t have knowledge of any particular case that ‘just works’. I think at least you would have to create your own surround for the rear ports. You’ll probably have to do more modding, but I haven’t tried it yet. I‘ve noticed a few cases that might be adapted, depending on how close the t730 motherboard is to the mini-itx standard and how easily it could be transplanted into another case:

Chenbro SR301 Plus. Chenbro - Products

U-NAS has a few that might work. https://www.u-nas.com/desktop.html?nav=products

Supermicro SC721TQ-350B2 | Compact Mini-Tower | Chassis | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc.

Hope this helps a little.