Mixing memory question for server build - clarification

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thecoffeeguy

Mar 10, 2016
Hey everyone.
I feel a little embarrassed asking this, but before i make a purchase and run into issues, i wanted to ask the folks here to help me understand how to properly setup my system with the right memory:

Short version:
Upgrading my memory from 64gb to 128.

Currently have the following mobo:

SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SRL-F Server Motherboard LGA 2011 R3

Current CPU:
Intel Xeon E5-2603 v3 Haswell 1.6 GHz LGA 2011-3 85W

I currently have 64gb of memory using this specific memory:

Kingston ValueRAM 16GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Server Memory Model KVR21R15D4/16HA

Kingston ValueRAM 16GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Server Memory Model KVR21R15D4/16HA - Newegg.com

However, on the above link, it says there is a newer version of the memory available.

Kingston ValueRAM 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4 2400 RAM (Server Memory) ECC Reg DIMM (288-Pin) KVR24R17S4/16MA (Micron A)

I see the DDR4 speed is different (2133 vs 2400).

My assumption is i should/must go with the original speed ram to match the speeds, correct?
My gut tells me yes, but wanted to verify as well.

Thanks!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So two bits here.

First, Kingston memory is usually not validated by Supermicro. If you run into issues, SM support will say use a validated memory module.

Second, it will likely work. The E5-2603 V3 only supports up to DDR4-1600 which is well below either speed. If you did get a higher-end V4 chip in the future, your memory will likely all run only at DDR4 2133 not DDR4 2400. You may also have to change how you populate the DIMMs into channels (e.g. move current DIMMs all to one side of the RAM channels). It sounds strange, but I have seen mixing RAM on the same channel be an issue before.

thecoffeeguy

Mar 10, 2016
So two bits here.

First, Kingston memory is usually not validated by Supermicro. If you run into issues, SM support will say use a validated memory module.

Second, it will likely work. The E5-2603 V3 only supports up to DDR4-1600 which is well below either speed. If you did get a higher-end V4 chip in the future, your memory will likely all run only at DDR4 2133 not DDR4 2400. You may also have to change how you populate the DIMMs into channels (e.g. move current DIMMs all to one side of the RAM channels). It sounds strange, but I have seen mixing RAM on the same channel be an issue before.
thats right..totally forgot about SM memory supprot. I remember going to the SM site and looking at validated memory. I am pretty sure what i bought is supported by my mobo. I remember i checked each memory making sure i did not run into these issues.

that said, i'll just buy again what i originally purchased to make it stable

Thanks again!

EDIT: Crud. Just realized, i thought i had found certified memory, but does not look like it. grr.
well, i'll see how it goes.

Could this cause m e issues? Now i think i will hold of on buying extra memory. Maybe i will wait for the 32gb supported modules to drop in price....thoughts on that?
slightly nervous about current memory may cause issues

Last edited: