mITX Replacement for Supermicro X10SDV-4C+-TLN4F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SaTiGrrrr

Apr 23, 2017
Hey there,

im looking for a replacement for my supermicro X10SDV-4C+-TLN4F. Why? Because with my setup and workloads the CPU seems to small and the temperatures too high to cool them quietly. The server is im my living room so silence is one of my main goals beside from energy saving. I'm bound to mITX because of space limitations.

My current setup:
Board + CPU: Supermicro X10SDV-4C+-TLN4F
RAM: 32GB
System- and VMdrive: 1TB M2 SSD
Drives for files: 2x 10TB WD Red
Tower: Supermicro CSE-504-203B incl PSU

My workload is this:
Running HyperVServer and hosting the following VMs:
- Domain Controller (Windows Server)
- Fileserver (Windows Server, running DrivePool)
- OPNSense
- Nextcloud
- Backupserver (Windows Server)
- SQLServer (Windows Server)
- Webserver (Windows Server)
- Win TestClient (Windows 10)

What i have in mind is this. It's not final so i'm open for changeing everything if useful:
Supermicro Board: Supermicro X11SCL-IF
CPU: E2236? (i'm not really sure what to buy here. Should be more powerfull but still energysaving)
CPU-Cooler: NH-L9i
Tower-Cooler: NF-A6x25 PWM
Tower: Intertech 1528L
RAM: would like to upgrade to 64GB (need to buy new modules as the old ones are 16GB per module)
Powersupply: PicoPSU-150-XT
Drives: will stay the same

I would appreciate if you could check my planned configuration and give me some ideas what to add or change.
Some other stuff:
- Beside from that i would like to go for a PicoPSU which i haven't used before. Would you recommend this? (Mainly because of noise reduction) Is 150Watts enough?
- I don't need 10GBit network in the near future, so this would be optional
- Having problems with WD Red Drives attached to the local SATA Ports. From time to time one of the disks just drops. And i have to remove the power from the server to get it back again. The drives are fine and with an external Raid Controller i had no problems. Supermicro told me that the drives are not supported so they couldn't help me. Is that an known issue? Will it be the same with my new supermicroboard?
- and i guess a dump question... Without have a "G" CPU version will i still get a signal on the VGA Port of the board? Or do i have to rely on the IMPI to have a graphical interface?

Thanks for your help!

SaTiGrrrr

Apr 23, 2017
thx, i know this guide but it doens't fit into the 1U case. Maybe i should have mention that i'm also limited in the height of the case.

Beside from that it wouldn't solve my problem of having not enough CPU power :)

Attachments

Last edited: