Minisforum MS-01 / RTX A4000 SFF Benchmarking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

GDB_Herk

May 15, 2024
A little over a year ago, I decided to try and self-host as much as I could, less reliance on cloud storage and apps. Filled 12u of rack space with cheap Xeon servers, about 2TB total ram and a bunch of cores. Plan worked out well until I couldn't stand the noise, heat and power draw. So I replaced it all with a cluster built with 5 MS-01 and 5 Intel NUCs I've had for years. Only 800GB of RAM across the cluster but I'm making it work.

The PCs are all just sitting in there now but I'm working on designing the mounts to get all 10 boxes arranged nicely and with maximum airflow from the fans at the front of the rack. Wiring is a mess, I know. I'm working on it. But, this ULTRA short depth rack is only 12 inches deep and it's quiet enough to sit beside my desk.
Do you notice any cooling performance degradation with 5 boxes stacked that way (on the side with tops and bottoms covered by the other boxes)?