Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NerdAshes

Jan 6, 2024
Eastside of Westside Washington
Your link has a ton of tracking - use https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BV9Q3H7L instead ;-) (edit: it used to - looks fixed now)

" Is 10G SFP switch compatible with the SFP+ ? " Those cheap switches are just incorrectly describing their ports in their advertisements.
SFP supports data rates up to 4.25Gbps. SFP+ supports data rates up to 10Gbps.
If the SFP port says it's 10Gbps - it's actually an SFP+ port.
I've used a bunch of the cheap switches that list the SFP as 10Gbps - they all have actually been SPF+ (and work fine).

Check out this link for a great presentation:

Reactions: welcometors
Aug 20, 2023
Confirmed working Ableconn PEXM2-130 Dual M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD Adapter
It gets quite hot, unknown about stability at this time (just installed it).
I'm still waiting on my U.2 drive to max it out (for what I'm willing to spend anyways).
Attached a lspci -vvv for anyone interested
Which U.2 drive have you ordered if you don't mind me asking?
Also, such a shame Asmedia haven't brought to market yet a pcie 4.0 switch chip, would be nice to have a couple of gen 4 drives in that pcie slot.

vxspiritxv

Jan 11, 2024
I think Gen4 would be way too hot.
MZQL215THBLA-00A07 Samsung 15TB PM9A3
I ordered from Provantage which might have been a mistake. When I ordered it said usually fulfilled in 8 days. My order status says expected April. Ordered on Jan16. Paypal charged on Jan24. If it doesn't come by the end of Feb, I'll have to cancel it as I'm moving out of the country. Whole reason why I bought this tiny thing is to replace a huge heavy server with something I can travel with.
1706403217041.png

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
I think Gen4 would be way too hot.
MZQL215THBLA-00A07 Samsung 15TB PM9A3
I ordered from Provantage which might have been a mistake. When I ordered it said usually fulfilled in 8 days. My order status says expected April. Ordered on Jan16. Paypal charged on Jan24. If it doesn't come by the end of Feb, I'll have to cancel it as I'm moving out of the country. Whole reason why I bought this tiny thing is to replace a huge heavy server with something I can travel with.
View attachment 34068
How much does MZQL215THBLA-00A07 Samsung 15TB PM9A3 cost? I see anywhere from 1,600 to 2,000 bucks.

Also, how much power it's taking still idle with all the bells and whistles installed?

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
I'm not going to stress: I'm reinstalling on top of Proxmox this weekend, and I'm going to replace the WiFi with a nicer Intel card while I'm at it.
Gosh, what a waste of an afternoon!
Can recommend against trying to run Windows on Proxmox as a development box. The hacks to pass through the GPU and the hacks to allow nested virtualization (for WSL) don't play nice. And I can't see any way of passing sensors through to the Windows VM so I couldn't set non-annoying fan curves.

I went back to Windows 11 on the metal, with Proxmox running inside Hyper-V (for testing & staging VMs to my prod server). I needed to enable nested virtualization and enable MAC address spoofing for the Promox VM, but that's it.

Added plus is that I've been able to yank out the P1000 (since the iGPU does 5k2k just fine), which has cut down the fan noise quite significantly.

GmanOhio_70

Jan 27, 2024
So I've jumped in and ordered the MS-01.
I'm new to the mini pc world, and I'm typing this on a recently setup a Minisforum UM790 Pro. I think I'll pass that onto the wife so I can play with the MS-01.
For memory, I've ordered something I haven't seen anyone else chime in on with - success or fail, which is Mushkin Redline (MRA5S560LKKD48GX2) DDR5 5600 Gaming Laptop DRAM – 96GB (2x48GB). I have the memory, just waiting on the backordered MS-01. I also plan to setup Raid and will be using the integrated network options. I have 10GB networking - so I want to play with both the SFP+ and teaming the dual 2.5gb ports.
I do have QNAP NAS - Both the TS-464 and an expansion TR-004. After I've had a chance to do some testing and playing, compatibility testing, I'll report my findings. As many have stated - also looking forward to an AMD flavored version.

shmokey629

Jan 21, 2024
So I've jumped in and ordered the MS-01.
I'm new to the mini pc world, and I'm typing this on a recently setup a Minisforum UM790 Pro. I think I'll pass that onto the wife so I can play with the MS-01.
For memory, I've ordered something I haven't seen anyone else chime in on with - success or fail, which is Mushkin Redline (MRA5S560LKKD48GX2) DDR5 5600 Gaming Laptop DRAM – 96GB (2x48GB). I have the memory, just waiting on the backordered MS-01. I also plan to setup Raid and will be using the integrated network options. I have 10GB networking - so I want to play with both the SFP+ and teaming the dual 2.5gb ports.
I do have QNAP NAS - Both the TS-464 and an expansion TR-004. After I've had a chance to do some testing and playing, compatibility testing, I'll report my findings. As many have stated - also looking forward to an AMD flavored version.
Someone already said that exact memory was working, on page 7 I think.

garbinc

Jan 25, 2024
Shows up for me in lspci. I only have the single TPU model to test though M.2 Accelerator A+E key | Coral
There are some config settings in the bios for the pci-e slots but only really ASPM.

Corsair Vengeance 2x32GB 4800 kit works fine p/n ‎CMSX64GX5M2A4800C40

I have an issue where the unit refuses to aquire a resolution with an older Dell monitor using HDMI via the DVI input. Ive had some minor compatibility issues with this monitor in the past so could be either to blame. Working fine at 4K on my 75" TV though which is making initial setup fun...No other monitors in my house at the moment.

Fedex delivered 5 days early before the long weekend which is great. Minis website had mid march date and preorder at the top when I ordered, but it shipped soon after, so I think it all depends on which spec/bundle you order. Unfortunately I was expecting this way later so the planned QNAP expasion chassis is still a month away.
Yeah ok, that’s the one I don’t have. I have the dual edge which is e key only and never showed up

thanks for your input

Last edited:

Joss

Jan 21, 2024
I don't have a power meter (moving, got rid of all my "stuff").
I paid $1415 plus tax for the MZQL215THBLA-00A07 (if I get it).
I considered it a good deal when you consider the cost of two 8tb M.2 ssds.
Can confirm SSD heatsinks fit double sided ssd in Ableconn PEXM2-130, but just barely.

View attachment 34084
Can you tell if there is enough space underneath to use a card with M.2 SSDs on both sides like this one by Kalea? PCIe 3.0 8X Controller Board for 4 M.2 NVMe M Key SSDs (M2 NGFF). CHIPSET PLX PEX 8747-64G in total. High and Low Profile.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Can you tell if there is enough space underneath to use a card with M.2 SSDs on both sides like this one by Kalea? PCIe 3.0 8X Controller Board for 4 M.2 NVMe M Key SSDs (M2 NGFF). CHIPSET PLX PEX 8747-64G in total. High and Low Profile.
You probably have to snap.off the 110mm mount points to get it in the case.

I dont think it would fit. The pcie socket is very cloae to the main pcb.

Even if it fit i think it would cook the SSDs on the bottom. There isn't much airflow on that part of the chassis and even the ones on the top would get pretty hot.

Reactions: Joss

vxspiritxv

Jan 11, 2024
I don't think a quad m.2 card will work, there's stuff under there and I didn't want to make any modifications to even attempt it.
Also I bought a u.2 card, lowest profile one I could find, and its still too tall. Have to shave the card down to the drive screw holes and then maybe it will work, but then the u.2 drive itself prob wouldn't fit.
1706491948266.png
Been writing to drives all day today, seems stable.
SSDs on PEXM2-130 with heatsinks idle at 38c and at load 49c.
SSDs that are bare, under the fan idle at 40c and at load 46c.
Room temp is about 79F (warm).

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I’ve only had it in hand for a day and it’s not doing real work yet, but I am really loving this system! Just doing stress tests and a few test OS loads but it really runs nice. Reasonably. Quiet even under heavy loads. Cooling design is rock solid, holds clock even under heavy load. m.2 drives stay nice and cool. Really well done.

Running 96gb crucial kit, but that is already confirmed working.
Coral TPU in replaced the WiFi. Recognized on lspci but I can’t really test it yet because I have the driver blacklisted (will pass through to a vm).
SR-iov working, both for the iGPU and the 10gbe ports.
Loaded Proxmox with Secure Boot (first time I tried that one - didn’t expect it to be a no hassle install, but it was). This is really more a comment about Proxmox 8.1 than the MS-01.

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
I’ve only had it in hand for a day and it’s not doing real work yet, but I am really loving this system! Just doing stress tests and a few test OS loads but it really runs nice. Reasonably. Quiet even under heavy loads. Cooling design is rock solid, holds clock even under heavy load. m.2 drives stay nice and cool. Really well done.

Running 96gb crucial kit, but that is already confirmed working.
Coral TPU in replaced the WiFi. Recognized on lspci but I can’t really test it yet because I have the driver blacklisted (will pass through to a vm).
SR-iov working, both for the iGPU and the 10gbe ports.
Loaded Proxmox with Secure Boot (first time I tried that one - didn’t expect it to be a no hassle install, but it was). This is really more a comment about Proxmox 8.1 than the MS-01.
Sweet iGPU SR-IOV is highly desirable for my use case. Did you have to jump several hoops to get that going, like Kernel compilation and what not? Mind sharing your graphical experience on Linux VM with the iGPU? Video playback etc?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Sweet iGPU SR-IOV is highly desirable for my use case. Did you have to jump several hoops to get that going, like Kernel compilation and what not? Mind sharing your graphical experience on Linux VM with the iGPU? Video playback etc?
My use case is a windows VM doing video processing (NVR) so I can’t offer much insight into graphics performance on a Linux vm.

Setup is via dims using this guide. Yes, it’s jumping through a few hoops. But they are simple and Derek’s guide makes it simple.

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
I guess what @MetalPhreak meant is this card can work but most probably there is not enough space to accommodate it.

I think then it's best to put both proxmox and VMs on the U.2 drive and use other 2SSDs for storage.
But with 20cm cable you can put the end card in the other side where there is the empty space of the U2 disk.
I will order one just for testing because i will put a coral card in this slot for Frigate.

Reactions: Joss