Minisforum MS-01 - 2 x 10Gbe SFP+, 2 x 2.5Gbe RJ45, 3 x NVMe, 1 x U.2, 1 x PCI 4.0 x 16 slot & vPro

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
care to explain this with USB4

Go to these two links and ctrl-f "usb 4"

7945hx https://www.amd.com/en/product/13016
7940hs https://www.amd.com/en/product/13036

In order to implement it on the hx id imagine it would have to be off a dedicated controller which means extra cost, and I believe using more of the already limited pcie lanes, vs the cpu having native support which means no extra lanes being used.

I should have said native support or on die support perhaps

KingKaido

Nov 24, 2023
No need to dramatize as e.g. WD, Micron and Samsung offer 7mm enterprise drives.
My bad i was misinformed, on another note (a genuine question not sarcasm), maybe I'm used to Raid1 'ing most of my SSDs as a best practise for minimal downtime, but when would you use a single U.2 drive in a system? Assuming you're using ZFS or a hypervisor, they'd be no way to know if the drive is writing bad data or is falling/failed, or since you can fit a 15.36TB u.2 in there, wouldn't you want some resiliency(or is a backup to an external system good enough)? Or am i just thinking about it wrong, since alot of people JBOD their drives in a Windows system so it's good for just having alot of data in the mini pc?

But yeah again i must say i really like this system, especially with 96GB RAM and a 2x25Gb Nic via the X8 slot, it can be a pretty amazing Homelab and/or Router + mini 25Gb switch for a NAS and one other system that needs that much bandwidth (high end video editing PC or something) without needing to use a switch, and then connecting a 10Gb port to an actual switch for the rest of your networks device's

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
My bad i was misinformed, on another note (a genuine question not sarcasm), maybe I'm used to Raid1 'ing most of my SSDs as a best practise for minimal downtime, but when would you use a single U.2 drive in a system? Assuming you're using ZFS or a hypervisor, they'd be no way to know if the drive is writing bad data or is falling/failed, or since you can fit a 15.36TB u.2 in there, wouldn't you want some resiliency(or is a backup to an external system good enough)? Or am i just thinking about it wrong, since alot of people JBOD their drives in a Windows system so it's good for just having alot of data in the mini pc?

But yeah again i must say i really like this system, especially with 96GB RAM and a 2x25Gb Nic via the X8 slot, it can be a pretty amazing Homelab and/or Router + mini 25Gb switch for a NAS and one other system that needs that much bandwidth (high end video editing PC or something) without needing to use a switch, and then connecting a 10Gb port to an actual switch for the rest of your networks device's
ZFS is heavily checksummed (actually CRC’d) so you’d absolutely know if data was corrupted on the drive.

Make perfect sense to use a single big/fast SSD with frequent snapshot-based incremental backups to slower but better protected storage.

Reactions: KingKaido

DaveLTX

Dec 5, 2021
care to explain this with USB4
USB4 actually is somewhat possible to connect each other directly. Not just somewhat but someone's done it.
But again, its not practical outside of chips that already support it natively.

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
USB4 actually is somewhat possible to connect each other directly. Not just somewhat but someone's done it.
But again, its not practical outside of chips that already support it natively.
My plan is to use thunderbolt-net for backend cluster communications, storage replication, live migration, etc. there's a really good post on here of someone who didn't and got 26gbps over TBolt. That leaves your sftp+ ports free for data. Of course you're limited to 3 nodes in a config with 2 TBolt ports per node