Minimum Build NAS and Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

aamcle

Jan 19, 2024
The last time I built a server was about 12 years ago with CentOS on a Foxcom box. My current NAS is old, SMB1 with no upgrade path so I'm thinking about a replacement.

My requirements are so low I'm almost afraid to post the here as most members seem to have or build systems far more capable than anything I would need.

Storage 4TB or more. I don't store films or video.
Shares for members of the household.
Mirroring or better.
24x7 so Low Power Consumption
Low Cost.

Nice to have's
Serve media
External access via VPN - note can't use router based vpn.

As I'm so very out of date I'd appreciate advice or point me to what I should be reading to get me started.

Thanks All. Aamcle

louie1961

May 15, 2023
I mean you could build something fairly cheap. You wouldn't need much more than say an entry level processor with integrated graphics for what you are describing. But honestly, you could get by with a new NAS box. A Synology DS 224+ will run docker apps like plex to serve media. If you wanted to go more towards using something like Unraid, Openmediavualt or even Truenas scale, you could go with a Terramaster F2-424. Terramaster has much better hardware but crappy software (as compared to Synology) making it a great device to install your own OS on.

alaricljs

Jun 16, 2023
Without knowing more about the actual use case there's a very wide range of devices that will technically get the job done. You could use a Raspberry Pi, but you might not appreciate the low performance or the technical requirements for storage (USB or a kludge for SATA or NVME).

louie1961

May 15, 2023
Any NAS with a halfway decent CPU can be a server. This guy has some interesting build ideas if you want to build your own

I would almost think a raspberry pi could do the job - your only limit being transfer rate as someone else said, i'm not sure if the new ones will even saturate 1gig ethernet. Else the most absolute entry level of anything of the last few generations of any board will have more than enough power for basic needs.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I am fairly sure a Pi5 withn nvme hat will fill up that 1G connection. I'd recommend it but when looking at €150 for it (depending on memory and + nvme drive) you also can get some old tiny pc's with more power (and somewhat more power usage) that are more flexible.

Else it very much depends on desired footprint, power envelope, looks, tinker capability... a ton of options in the €100-€200 area...

Best thing is to get your priorities straight - you prefer to save 5W and are willing to pay €50 more? Want nvme over ssd over HDD? or is hdd fine (cheapest). Need raid or have external backup? And so on...

Reactions: T_Minus

NPS

Jan 14, 2021
ECC as a requirement would kill all really cheap low power options I know of...

NPS

Jan 14, 2021
yeah my pick would be i3-9100 because it's the newest gen that's somehow efficient at idle, but the system would be in a completely different league than 100-200€. Age of these platforms is a factor if building new that's why for me personally the i3-9100 would be the border.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I think there are options, but in the end the OP will need to provide some more priorities to give good advice;)

aamcle

Jan 19, 2024
Thanks All. I'll miss the fun of the build but that DiskStation would do..

Atb. Aamcle

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
I would always go for the "+" model synology devices. They have a few extra features and available upgrades
Minimal advantage for more than 50% higher price. Not worth it for a basic NAS.

stanos4

Sep 2, 2020
ECC as a requirement would kill all really cheap low power options I know of...
2-nd hand, but especially if you find the ones with 250W psu, you can apparently get ~10W system with ecc with fujitsu tx1320 m3 (e.g. m4 has bit higher idle consumption according fujitsu spec sheets), for ~100-150$ barebone, with g4560 cpu.