Mini PCI-e - mSATA Adapters

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Hey folks,

Are any of you using an adapter for your mSATA disks, specifically the 850 evo? If so, which ones?

I always assumed that any 1.8" disk using the mini PCI-E connector configured for mSATA was running on 3V3, either powered from the 5V rail on the SATA power connector and regulated down locally on the adapter, or by using the 3V3 rail directly, if one was present.

Now, here's the thing, having looked long and hard, I have yet to find a 5V adapter, one where the 5V rail is taken directly to the mini PCI-E connector from the SATA power connector. This kind of, in my mind anyway, confirms what I always thought. That is, until now. I have just recently purchased an mSATA format 850 evo, and having nothing better to do after buying it, went browsing the Samsung site for more info on it to confirm sizes for an adapter for it. The first thing that immediately jumped out at me was they claim it runs at 5V +/- 5%. On anyone else's site I might have said it was a typo, but just to be sure, I checked the other evo specs for each of the disk sizes, they claim to all need 5V.

So, what's the story here? Are there 5V adapters out there? Are these disks really 3V3 but 5V tolerant?

uOpt

Dec 12, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
I ordered one and it arrived.

My wife then cleaned the house and it disappeared along with the mini-PCIe to PCIe adapter :mad:

Apart from that I figured that the mini-PCIe to PCIe solution was more elegant if you don't have to move the laptop.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
The same question would still apply, I think. Using a mini PCI-E connector configured for mSATA, even on a mainboard, would if I'm correct, be 3V3 and not 5V. I can only guess, unless someone has some info to share with me, that these 1.8" mSATA are actually operating at 3V3 but are 5V tolerant. It does seem odd though that the Samsung specs clearly state 5V +/- 5% for operating voltage. If they are actually 5V, I'm wondering how much undervolting them has an effect, if they will indeed even work at that level. And if I'm wrong and it was the other way around, then it would almost certainly be catastrophic for the disk.

uOpt

Dec 12, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
IIRC the adapter I got had a molex power connector.

I dunno about the mSATA drive in particular but it wouldn't surprise me if it was able to operate at both voltages.