Mini-PC buying advice

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dad

May 1, 2023
Hi guys,

I apologize if this is the wrong subforum, please just redirect me if I've overlooked a better pick.

Currently I'm running 2 RPI4s, one with the Ubuquiti controller, HAProxy and AdGuard, and one with Home Assistant, Zigbee2MQTT and Mosquitto (and some home-grown automation software talking to the HA socket). The former runs without issues, but the latter is a source of major annoyances, possibly related to unreliable storage. I also have a power hungry 24 disk file server that I'm not running anymore until we get solar panels at the new house (power in Europe is as most of you know, crazy expensive rn).

I only have 2 months to prove to mom that HA can run reliably, or she will resist relying on it in the new house.

My goals are:
- Simplify maintenance
- Increase reliability
- Increase observability using Grafana and Prometheus (because I'm familiar with these in a professional setting)
- Control costs and power usage

So I'm looking for a NUC or barebones or perhaps a more powerful RPI4 alternative that can replace the 2 Pis with some headroom.

Thanks for your insights,

John