Mikrotik network redundancy

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
If you are lucky and have drivers and os'es working as they should sure that is how active/passive works.
Unfortunatly i've seen to many instances where thing simply dont work as intended.
Now op is a hosting provider letting clients configure stuff. Sound like a nightmare waiting to happen.
Furthermore if one isnt very carefull the uplink switches stp will be triggered by a rapid swapping active link , which causes it to simply disable the whole up/down link..
Assuming there are more servers connected.. outch

I simply do not understand why a for crying out loud HOSTING PROVIDER isn't preparing for the worst case scenario.

For me personally his proposed solution wouldnt even be acceptable for a home lab, not to mention active/passive is not for me,who would want just redundancy and invest in that, while for just a few dollar/euro one can do it properly.

Of course this is just my 2 cents..
You build infra to last and be robust...

Reactions: NetWise

aero

Apr 27, 2016
just as an fyi, all the server ports should be configured with portfast (or generically speaking made an edge port), so they won't generate STP TCN on port flapping. That, and bpduguard will make for a stable stp topology.