Mikrotik CCR2004-1G-12S+2XS vs CRS317-1G-16S+RM noise

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Poleronburst

Jun 13, 2020
Hi,

I've been looking into a new unit for my homelab and I'm currently considering:
The CRS317-1G-16S+RM because I can find quite allot of useful information on this forum and I really like the (important to me) low noise level and the possibility to simply replace the 2 fans with noctua's.

However the new CCR2004-1G-12S+2XS seems to be quite interesting aswell, I know this is a router instead of a switch, however it does offer some more room for experiments :)

I've a couple of question that I can't find the anwnser to, (does anybody have this router?) so here we go:

1. How much slower would the CCR2004 be if I just use it as a switch, does the new PIPE chip help here?

2. What's the noise level? Seems that the thermal footprint would be around the same (hotter chip? however 12 instead of 16 sfp+)

3. Could I replace the 2 fans in the CCR2004 just as easily as I would be able to in the CRS317 with noctua's?

The CRS317 would suit my current needs very well however the shiny new CCR2004 seems to be very cool aswell.

Kind regards!
And thanks!

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
On newer firmware, the CRS317 fans come on during boot and don't come on again until CPU temps high low-mid 60C.

It's therefore practically silent for most users.

sfrode

I have the CCR2004 and the CRS317. To answer your questions:
  1. The PIPE seems to be a dumb port multiplier which does nothing to help with switching/routing. I did a few simple tests with routing on 6.46; IPv4 routing with no queues or filter rules pushed 10Gig, IPv6 maxed out at about 6Gig. The latest RoS7 beta8 newsletter (June 2020) notes that RoS7 beta8 delivers "vastly improved performance" on the CCR 2004. I have not yet verified that statement since I cannot get IPv6 BGP to work on that beta release.
  2. The stock fans makes some noise. Not extremely loud, but not exactly silent neither. The router will shut down the fans if the temperature is below a certain threshold.
  3. CCR2004 has PWM fan headers and ample space around the fans, replacing the stock fans with Noctua A4x10/A4x20 is a breeze.
I see the two devices as complimentary. Note that RoS7 beta8 introduced hardware offloaded IPv4 routing on the CRS317 which should dramatically increase the routing performance. I have not tested it yet since the beta has a few issues that prohibit me from running it in my home lab.

MathieuL

Oct 12, 2020
Singapore
I have the CCR2004, and I've tried to replace the stocks fans with Noctua A4x20. Spoiler: it does not work.

The fans don't start rotating on their own: if you give them a spin with your hand (with the router open obviously), the fans will spin and the router will detect them. If you do not help them to start, they will not rotate, and the router will detect a fan failure.
I've changed the fans on my Mikrotik switch, and the same fans work perfectly well there (and interestingly enough, using the switch 4-pin fans in the router work as well); so it's not a problem with the fans themselves nor the way I install them. It seems that the router doesn't provide enough power to start the rotation.

I have RouterOS v6.47.4, I don't know if a newer release (7) would make a difference. If somebody is able to get the Noctua fans spinning, please do let me know: I'll open again the router. Although the router is not noisy in my setup; the Noctua fans are definitively massively quieter than the default fans, and for the few times they rotate it would be a gain…

soccrstar

Jul 12, 2020
I have the CCR2004 and my unit is 100% Silent even when decently loaded with few 10g rest 1g and 3 open sfp+ ports.

can't say the same for my brocade ICX6610-24 :eek::eek::eek:

I was going to grab the CRS326-24S+2Q+RM but cost savings won. I heard the CRS326-24S+2Q+RM is silent or near silent with latest update which is why I wanted it.