Migrating from single disk OS drive to Intel RAID1 PCH

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lastb0isct

Feb 12, 2018
I am running RHEL8 on a single drive right now. I would like to migrate to a RAID1 configuration with hardware raid handled by my Intel PCH onboard RAID controller (X10DRH-CT motherboard). I have configured the RAID and attempted to do a simple dd to the raid (which shows up as an mdadm raid via systemrescuecd) but it doesn't seem to work at all. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do here? what is the best way to migrate this over?

MBastian

Jul 17, 2016
Düsseldorf, Germany
I have configured the RAID and attempted to do a simple dd to the raid (which shows up as an mdadm raid via systemrescuecd) but it doesn't seem to work at all.
if it shows up as mdadm it is a fake-raid. I'd strongly advise you to just deconfigure it and use a normal linux raid1 setup. There are many guides which explain how either convert a single disk installation to a raid1 setup or copy it over to a fresh raid array. The former I had to do like 200 times two decades ago because the CTO thought it a waste of money to invest in redundancy at a server level ....

Reactions: nexox

lastb0isct

Feb 12, 2018
I actually really want to get away from mdadm...I had that before and I want to utilize the hardware RAID that is built into my motherboard. Strange that Intel PCH would show up as mdadm, but maybe that's normal? I'm not sure how to move forward with that.

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
Well, that Intel onboard „RAID“ isn’t a real hardware RAID. It’s a „soft raid“ which means it does not have a dedicated raid chip / prozessor. It is all done in software driver.

lastb0isct

Feb 12, 2018
Well, that Intel onboard „RAID“ isn’t a real hardware RAID. It’s a „soft raid“ which means it does not have a dedicated raid chip / prozessor. It is all done in software driver.
Interesting -- I hadn't realized that. Thought onboard always was "hardware" but I guess I haven't really looked into it much. Thanks for the advice on that!