Micron 5200 ECO 3.84TB SATA SSD $99.50

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sacrilego

Now with more RGB!
Jun 23, 2016
Seems like it didn't last too long. Listed at 129.89 + Shipping with no Make offer.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I've got a crazy inclination to put one of these in a nas along side a 4TB HD and run them raid1--bad idea?

Sacrilego

Now with more RGB!
Jun 23, 2016
I've got a crazy inclination to put one of these in a nas along side a 4TB HD and run them raid1--bad idea?
I think it's a bad idea. While it may work, your speed is going to be limited to that of the HD.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I think it's a bad idea. While it may work, your speed is going to be limited to that of the HD.
Good point, although that wasn't what I was worried about. I was thinking more on the lines of the raid sync timing being outside of parameters (hdd to hdd timing or sdd to sdd timing vs hdd to sdd), so then it would think one of the drives is bad.

Reactions: Sacrilego

amp88

Jul 9, 2020
I think most nas units use mdadm (or whatever it is today) so I think that aspect would be fine. Good to hear about zf handling it.
If you're using mdraid and you're able to manually configure it, you may wish to investigate the use of the write-mostly feature. Using this, your write speed will still be limited to the slowest member in the mirror, but your read performance should be that of the fastest member (your SSD in this case). For a mostly read workload from your NAS this could be a benefit.

unwind-protect

Mar 7, 2016
Boston
It is not certain that a RAID1 with one slow and one fast device will always perform at the level of the faster device for read access.

It would be rather trivial to stage reads so that they don't strictly alternate but get batched so that the faster device will satisfy multiple reads for every single read the slower device serves.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
If you're using mdraid and you're able to manually configure it, you may wish to investigate the use of the write-mostly feature. Using this, your write speed will still be limited to the slowest member in the mirror, but your read performance should be that of the fastest member (your SSD in this case). For a mostly read workload from your NAS this could be a benefit.
Very neat to see this feature. I'm just using the usual single box commodity nas units, so probably can't do this without some sort of hacking, but interesting that it's possible.

Reactions: Sacrilego

zunder1990

Nov 15, 2012
I got one of those drives wow they shipped it fast to me here in SC.
Smart says the drive has 46 power on hours and 4 power cycle, I find that a bit hard to believe
1699139094638.png

Reactions: Samir and chrgrose
Jul 14, 2017

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I got one of those drives wow they shipped it fast to me here in SC.
Smart says the drive has 46 power on hours and 4 power cycle, I find that a bit hard to believe
View attachment 32579
Could have been on some sort of offline backup array, hence the low duty cycle. I would look at the number bytes read and written to get a better idea of use as that's more critical for ssds anyways.