Microchip Microsemi SXP SAS4 Expanders Launched at 24G Speeds

Discussion in 'STH Main Site Posts' started by Cliff Robinson, Aug 7, 2018.

i386 likes this.
  2. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

How does SAS4 look power consumption wise ?
    Does it really have a chance compared to PCIe now or is it kind of dead on arrival ?

3. i386

i386 Well-Known Member

Ist depends in the devices, typical sata/sas ssds consume ~15watt.

No Chance when comparing max Performance (latency, throughput).
    For bulk storage it's enough and cheap.

4. rune-san

rune-san Member

I think the main benefit, as the article mentioned, is Multiplexing behind the Expander. SAS1-3 to the drives, SAS4 to the backplane. This will double the bandwidth from the Backplane, and will make 48 drive backplanes a bit more appealing for high volume work. Additionally, from a cost / convenience perspective, a company can now put SAS3 (or even SAS4 later on) SSDs on the Backplane with their drives without stringing themselves out as much.

Until NVMe gets stronger Hotplug support, SAS is still going to be useful for some time to come. Alot of current Storage systems can't afford (or can't risk) bringing down whole controllers or nodes to swap out a drive. NVMe Hotplug is here, and getting better, but it's not nearly to the ubiquitous availability and reliability of Hotplug SAS.

5. chinesestunna

chinesestunna Active Member

Kinda silly question, but where are the SAS4 controllers and drives? It seems strange that an expander is announced first