MHQH29B-XTR Direct Connect Ethernet and ESXi

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Mar 7, 2015
I am looking to connect 2 ESXi servers to an iSCSI storage server, as well as to themselves (for Vmotion), using 3 x MHQH29B-XTR adaptors. For now, I will be using 10G Ethernet, not infiniband. If I connect the two esxi servers to each other using one port on the installed adaptor and the esxi servers to the storage server using the second port, will I be fine? My understanding from reading the other posts (many...) is that this should work, but I am still wrapping my head around infiniband vs ethernet when using Mellanox infiniband VPI adaptors. Forget routing, subnet, etc. issues or the like; I am primarily concerned with adapter compatibility and direct connections.

Second, will these cables work?

IBM 40GB s Mellanox Infiniband QSFP Copper 1M Cable CBL1 0600130 B 39 5 IBM | eBay

Thanks! Thoroughly enjoying reading about all of the fun stuff people are doing in their home labs.

Tim

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
10gbe ethernet is very happy with DAC cable direct (pc to pc, or server to server)! I've done this before I had 10gbe switches with esxi 5.1