Mellanox SX6018F Connection Issue

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

devin_mm

May 7, 2019
Hey all,

I have just received an SX6018F I tried to do my due dilligence to make sure it was not an EMC model but I am running into issues. I am connecting the switch into CX354A cards and I am getting no link, now one thing I see it's the web interface of the switch is reporting "Mellanox MLNX-OS SX6036 Management Console " so it looks like the wrong version of the OS was loaded onto the device, aside from taking this up with the seller do I have any options for fixing this myself?

Thanks!

devin_mm

May 7, 2019
Thanks for the reply, I am running IB and the cards are set to IB. The switch has a local subnet manager that is running, I mean all I did was turn it on no actual config so I'm not sure if there's something I need to do to finalize the config.

Emek

May 14, 2017
If the subnet manager is running then it should be working.

Can you see the cables under "ports"?

Emek

May 14, 2017
The cables are not detected. When a transceiver or a cable is attached the port should light up in the image above.
Try and click on the port where the transceiver is attached, and see og there's any info.

Did you change settings without clicking save?

Terry Wallace

PsyOps SysOp
Aug 13, 2018
Central Time Zone
That wont' work. The GUI is clearly showing the 36 port version of the switch. But he physically has an 18 port version.
Before trying to use the switch for anything you want to run reliably, I'd flash the correct firmware onto the switch.
There is a long thread on here about Mellanox EMC os switches. It should point you in the right direction for flashing it.

Last edited:

devin_mm

May 7, 2019
That wont' work. The GUI is clearly showing the 36 port version of the switch. But he physically has an 18 port version.
Before trying to use the switch for anything you want to run reliably, I'd flash the correct firmware onto the switch.
There is a long thread on here about Mellanox EMC os switches. It should point you in the right direction for flashing it.
Thanks for validating what I thought.
I will now proceed to wade through that monster of a thread.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
If this is not an EMC switch you simply can try to install the correct firmware via the gui (or cli), no need for the conversion process

devin_mm

May 7, 2019
If this is not an EMC switch you simply can try to install the correct firmware via the gui (or cli), no need for the conversion process
Do you possibly have a source for a valid firmware?
For the life of me I cannot find one.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Hm, i dont have a 6018 so never needed one. For 6036 the fw is available freely ( see thread in great deals), but if that is not helping as it might be the case here then it might be difficult.

For the emc conversion i believe the 6036 one was working too, so not sure its platform dependant or not