Mellanox Optical Transceiver/VPI connectivity

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
...... Wait, so you'd just replace the cable? Are they terminated inside or an LC plug? Etc? Curious. Not going to buy 9000 units, but could see quite a few..

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Fiber welding is pretty much the only option here, there's 8 MM strands that have been directly terminated to the optical sensors or the lasers.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Cut QSFP active optical cables are useless unless you have access to newer, high end fiber install equipment. I highly doubt your typical telecom field splicer would be up to snuff, but if your day job is to build or fix the big runs then sure why not.

I wonder why they decided to cut 9000 cables out of some server farm and leave that money on the table, maybe there was a time limit or just dumb liquidators?

neo

Mar 18, 2015
I wonder why they decided to cut 9000 cables out of some server farm and leave that money on the table, maybe there was a time limit or just dumb liquidators?
I would guess long fiber runs that went inside walls/ceilings/underground. Might have been a pain to pull it out.

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Cut QSFP active optical cables are useless unless you have access to newer, high end fiber install equipment. I highly doubt your typical telecom field splicer would be up to snuff, but if your day job is to build or fix the big runs then sure why not.
Those optical cables are just 8 normal 50/125 multimode fiber strands with less kevlar and tubing around them, nothing too fancy that couldn't be spliced with "typical telecom field splicer". Even splicing 48x 9/125 SM cable in -30c freezing coldness is possible with fairly normal field splicer.

brianmat

Dec 11, 2013
Based on the photos it looked like I could just replace the optical cable with a new patch cable and use the transceivers.