Mellanox ConnectX-2 QSFP to SFP+ ?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ViciousXUSMC, Jan 9, 2019.

1. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Member

I think I screwed up, looking for some guidance.
    Upgrading part of my home network to 10gb.

I was hunting down Mellanox ConnectX-2 on ebay.
    I got the right card the first time with 2x SFP+ Ports, but it had the wrong bracket size. The listing said "includes low profile bracket" and I for some reason I read that as "also includes" like how most desktop parts are listed when you buy a PCI device.

I canceled that order and did a fast rebound looking for the cheapest cards with the high profile bracket. I ordered these: MHQH19B-XTR MELLANOX CONNECT-2 VPI SINGLE PORT 4X QSFP 40GBE NETWORK ADAPTER | eBay

Never paid attention to the fact that its a QSFP port... I just was reading the 10gb part of the item description.

So they came in today and now I wonder what to do with them. I got SFP+ Fiber modules already and not sure if these are just useless to me now or there is a viable way to salvage them (some kind of cheap adapter).

Also I upgraded all 3 of them to Firmware 2.10.720 so they have some of the newest firmware you can put on them.

I guess it comes down to.
    1.) Adapter for these of some sort
    2.) Try to sell them and buy the right thing

Advice?

2. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Kaini Industries

3. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Member

Good call didn't realize the X3 was that cheap.
    Even on the forum the current asking price is like $90

Ended up finding this as the best listing, as apparently high profile brackets are like dinosaurs and hard to find.

Mellanox MCX311A-XCAT CX311A ConnectX-3 EN 10G Ethernet 10GbE SFP+ PCI-E NIC | eBay

Good advise though the X3 is worth a bit extra.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019