Mellanox ConnectX-2 EN LACP?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
Hello,

Anybody knows whether dual port variants of these cards support LACP?

Thanks

aero

Apr 27, 2016
Support for LACP or any kind of NIC bonding modes is based on the OS, not the NIC itself. So the answer is, if you're using any Linux variant, then YES. If you're using Windows, then it depends on which version. Windows Server 2012 and newer natively support it. If you have a non-server Windows version then I believe the only option is a driver/toolset from the NIC manufacturer that supports it. Not sure if mellanox has that.

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
I am trying to setup LAGG between a computer (Mellanox card) and ES-16-XG switch (firmware 1.7) using SFP+ ports. Ports 1,2 are connected on the switch. Unfortunately, LACP doesnt seem to work. The port 2 does not participate in the LAGG. If i take the port 1 cable out, the connection drops. However, if i take the port 2 cable out, the connection keeps up.

Under the LAGG setting i have Admin/STP to ON, and Static/Link trap to OFF. Load balance is set to its default value Source/Destination MAC, Vlan, Ethertype, Incoming port

The computer has a dual port ConnectX-2 EN 10GigE card and is setup for LAGG in FreeBSD as follows:
Code:
ifconfig_mlxen0="up"
ifconfig_mlxen1="up"

cloned_interfaces="lagg0 vlan100 vlan200"
ifconfig_lagg0="laggproto lacp laggport mlxen0 laggport mlxen1"
By the way I was using gigabit ports with LACP with the above config and it was working fine. So, either the switch is at fault or the NIC

Last edited:

aero

Apr 27, 2016
The freebsd configuration looks right to me. I'm not sure about the es-16-xg side of things. ..no experience with it.

On the server, if you look at ifconfig does it show both ports in the lagg interface?

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
Yes, ifconfig shows both interfaces to up. The config was working fine previously with another switch. Guess it is an issue with ES-16-XG.