Mellanox Connect-X CX314A Cooling Dual 40GbE

Discussion in 'Networking' started by xephael, Aug 12, 2019.

1. xephael

xephael New Member

Does anyone know how hot these run? The mounting points are 35mm apart, heatsink is 45mm.

Looks like the best way to actively cool them would be to screw in a low profile fan to the factory heat sink?

[​IMG]

2. kapone

kapone Active Member

I have a slightly different version of the same card (Pro version) installed in a 3U case, with the stock heatsink and an 80mm fan installed "over" the PCI area using one of those "side blown GPU fan mount bracket" thingies. Works great and cools both the Adapter 71605 and the Mellanox (mget_temp shows 39C)

IMG_0377.jpg

xephael and itronin like this.
  3. saivert

saivert Member

Correct answer!

In a 3U/4U chassis where you cannot easily duct airflow just mount a side fan that blows onto the card. That is sufficient. You don't even need a fast spinning fan. I do the same in my Fractal Design Define case to cool a ConnectX-3 card.

I wish knew about the cooling requirements of these 10G nics when I bought them. Spent unnecessary time debugging issues with my setup.

xephael likes this.
  4. xephael

xephael New Member

mget_temp was reading up to 82C on one of the cards. I mounted a 120mm fan above them and the temperature dropped to 52C (actually still dropping as I type this).

They definitely need active cooling.