MediaserverX01 (WHS)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lippy

Jun 29, 2011
Midwest
Build’s Name:………………………………....…….....MediaserverX01
Operating System/ Storage Platform:…WHS v1
CPU:……………………………………....…………….......Intel i3-2100T (Sandy Bridge)
CPU Cooling:……………………...………….....….…Intel OEM
Motherboard: ……………………...…….....……….Tyan S5512WGM2NR
Chassis:………………………………………….......…...Norco RC4220 Server Chassis
Chassis Fan Wall:……………………………......….Norco 120mm
Drives (O.S.):…………………………………......…..Hitachi 7K500 - 250GB @ 7500RPM (2x @ RAID 1)
Drives (Data):………………………………............Hitachi 5K3000 – 2T @5400RPM (16 of 20)
RAM:……………………………………………............….Actica ACT2GHU72D8G1333S (PC3-10600 DDR 1333MHz ECC Unbuffered CL9-9-9)
Add-in Cards:………………………………..…........IBM M1015 (2x)
Power Supply:…………………......……….…..…..Seasonic SS-650KM (X-Series 650w 80+ Gold)
Case Exhaust Fans:..…………....…………….….Nosieblocker M8-S3HS (80mm x 25 x 2200rpm)
Drive Exhaust Fans:………………………......…..Noiseblocker M12-S2 (120 x 25 x 1250rpm)
SAS Cables:……………………………………...........Molex 79576-2103 (Avnet)

Usage Profile: Media Server

Other information…
Thanks to all who came before me…and and all of the posters here at ServeTheHome, and over at AVS Forum and [H].

The purpose of the build was to serve media to an existing HTPC and to laptop clients. I’ve outgrown so many other solutions: numerous portable USB drives (aka the new sneakernet); Infrant Ready NAS NV+ (1TB); Netgear Ready NAS NV+ (2TB); Acer H340 (8TB). And before that (don’t ask me why, in a moment of weakness) a SNAP server (it’s still in the attic…I think).

This build has been an ongoing accumulation of parts, when things went on sale. For example, the Norco case was purchased last (a year ago) Thanksgiving; and I have patiently waited while Intel rolled out Sandy Bridge and watched to see what M$ was going to do with WHS 2011.

I had already done a HTPC build with limited airflow, so cable management was in central as part of the build. The power supply cables to the backplanes and to the fans were hand-built (a first on this build) and to help some of the cable mess, some were sleeved (another first for me).

Thanks to Patrick’s review of this motherboard (and perhaps only review), helped create some answers about how I was going to transfer data with the number of ports that I wanted and still stay with Sandy Bridge.

I know I paid painfully for the memory. But I also know that SuperMicro is VERY specific to it choice of memory. So with the Tyan, not knowing, I stayed on the approved listed to avoid complications.

As far as the IBM M1015: I choose two, because, well…it was just cheaper than anything else (thanks eBay); and stupidly before I had fully understood the differences between RAID Cards and SAS Expander Cards. While I choose to run WHS v1; the cards would future-proof the build for a pseudo-WHS duplication with RAID 1 if I every decided to go to WHS 2011. The cards were re-flashed to the latest IBM firmware; running the latest LSI drivers. The cards are running passthrough.

Again, with a HTPC build under my belt, I spent a long time researching fans solutions. Yes, I know the Noiseblockers are not the cheapest solution. But they seemed to have good reviews and specifications for static pressure (which is an issue once the case is closed up). I’m not going to use the case rails, so all extra openings were sealed with silicon. Because the fans are in a server case, so I saw no point to control these through the MB, so they are directly powered from the power supply (running at 100%). The 120’s I can’t hear at all; the 80’s are quieter than the single 140 mm Noctua NF-P14 FLX 14 fan that I retrofitted into the Acer H340 (also running at 100%). The Norco will stay in my heated, unfinished basement with the rest of the household networking gear where the current temperature is 70F (21C). The cold server HDD’ start up (with Hard Disk Sentinel with no calibration) at 80F (27C), and after 24 hours at idle, they are in the 88 – 90F (31 – 32C) range.

16 of the 20 drive bays are currently populated. At idle, I see 136 watts (Kill a Watt EZ) and during the boot it maxs out at 257 watts. S3 Sleep: 4.3 watts; Powered-down: 3.4 watts

I have not checked any data transfer rates at this point.

In case anyone asks: in the photo, the thumb drive in the zip-lock bag has my WHS install disk with slipstreamed drivers in it for both the RAID and SAS. Yea, I had to figure that out too.

Open issues:
I have one backplane with a bad green drive LED; I’m waiting for drives to go sale (good luck with this, since the last of the 16 drives had been purchased a few weeks before the flooding) and I’ll populate the last 4 trays to see if there are any more before I decide what to do. I’m not relishing the idea of tearing it back down for 1 LED.

One of the things I was not expecting: the extensive boot time. I have an Acer H340 running WHS v1. Pretty close to instant-on with the boot (IMHO). From the point of pressing the On button to Logging-in and seeing the network identified in the System Tray: 06:47 (mm:ss).

In conclusion, I really enjoyed the months (yea, I read all 228 pages / 6816 posts of Guide To Build A Storage Server over at AVS Forum [but I’ll probably pay for it in my future blindness], among other threads) of research and perhaps 6 weeks of build-time on this and I’m now disappointed that it is over.

Time to start migrating data…and finish ripping disks.

Regards,
Lippy

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Pretty cool build! If you have more pics of the custom cables that would be awesome as it looks great from above.

lippy

Jun 29, 2011
Midwest
Patrick, thanks for the kind remarks.

In regards to the cables, I couldn't find what I wanted for the fan splitter cables, so I built these. 2 into 1 for the rear exhaust fans and 3 into 1 for the fan wall:

When I did the research into this build, someone had built a custom power cable for the backplanes, which I thought was better-looking than than the splitters from Norco, so I built my own. By my own admission, I had never used a punch-down tool before, so I found some videos posted on YouTube and destroyed some wire and connectors until I got the hang of it.

Research showed that the second set of connectors on the backplane was for Norco's redundant power supply, and not required for the build, but why take the chance? There had been a post about poor soldering on the backplanes. So I setup each wiring harness for one plug on each backplane plus one of the 2.5" drives for the O.S. This would keep the load the same on the two harnesses.

Let me know if you need to see anything else.

Lippy

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Looks stupendous Lippy! Great work. Probably the cleanest RPC-4220 I've seen.

Glitchy

Feb 18, 2012
Need custom cable input! Beautiful case

Lippy!

As you, thanks for those ahead of me. YOU!

Took your advise on the Noiseblockers in the 4220 (3 120's and 2 80's) and in the 2106 (4 = 80's)..... AMAZING difference!

Also want to follow your lead on the custom cables. For the female pins into the power supply (for me a 6 pin VGA?, Corsair HX750W), do I want the mini female mini pins or the regular pins ? Do the connectors come with the pins or separate from pc performace?

I'm planning on 18 gauge wire. What did you use?

Did you buy a impact punchdown or wing it. I've got a punch down for RG45, want to try to use that.. any insight?

Do I need to buy a molex crimper? Have others for grounds, etc

Any tips on the Norco layout and the PCPerformance parts?

Thanks so much

Jeff

Last edited:

lippy

Jun 29, 2011
Midwest
I love the custom power cables. Where did you order the parts?
Hey Guys,

So sorry for the delay; I've been away from the boards for a while after my former employer decided to reduce the headcount.

Give me few more days and I will try to answer the questions.

Cabling parts (connectors, wiring, sheathing, shrink-tubing, pins, pin crimping tool):
Frozen CPU
http://www.frozencpu.com/

Punch Down Tool:
Stanley (former Jensen)
http://www.stanleysupplyservices.com/product-detail.aspx?pn=237-300

Blade:
Stanley (former Jensen)
http://www.stanleysupplyservices.com/product-detail.aspx?pn=117-784

Molex Connectors Explained (crimping, punching)
http://www.pinrepair.com/connect/

YouTube Video showing punch-down with a RJ45 jack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHy8mtW9eak
NOTE: although the video shows the excess being cut, we DON'T want that...but it gives you a basic idea.

I've got other links if you need them.

Regards,
Lippy

lippy

Jun 29, 2011
Midwest
One quick update about the fans...

Due to the fact that the Tyan motherboard does not do "Wake-on-LAN"; currently I have the server on a 4 hour wake timer from 18:00 to 22:00. It has been on that cycle since the first post.

Yesterday is the first time that I remoted into the server, since the first post. The Hard Disk Sentinel with no calibration, shows absolutely no problems with the hard drive temperatures running with the Noiseblockers. The fans have been rock-steady, and I would probably use them in a PC build.

Regards,
Lippy

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Great to know. Just wondering, is this a backup only box? If so, that is a lot of storage to back-up onto.