Max working Temperature for H710 MINi D1 LSISAS308

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

stubaBF

Dec 30, 2023
Hello everyone,
I have a DELL R720 with a PERC H710 MINi D1 LSISAS2308 (In IT mode)I try to find the specs sheet that say at wich max temperature the controller can operate. But I found jit ust an old doc by DELL PERC H710 but with the LSISAS2208 instead than the LSI2308, and the max tem Is 60°C.
From my limited knowledge I know that the LSISAS2308 run at higher frequency so I wonder if he can operate at higher temperature.
Any help, link or documentation is highly appreciate, or maybe just data from real case scenario experience.

Reactions: Dionysos

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Broadcom documentation here: https://docs.broadcom.com/doc/12353227

See page 78, referencing 9265CV-8i RAID controller, which is also based on the LSI SAS2208 chip:

Temperature range: +10 °C to +55 °C
The H710 MINI D1 is based on the LSI SAS2208 chip. You can run IT mode firmware which will report it as SAS2308, but in reality it is still SAS2208. So, I think it is reasonable that the operating temperature of any other card based on the same chip would be the same for the H710 Mini. Air flow requirements may differ however, since that might depend on the size of heatsink used.

stubaBF

Dec 30, 2023
Broadcom documentation here: https://docs.broadcom.com/doc/12353227

See page 78, referencing 9265CV-8i RAID controller, which is also based on the LSI SAS2208 chip:

The H710 MINI D1 is based on the LSI SAS2208 chip. You can run IT mode firmware which will report it as SAS2308, but in reality it is still SAS2208. So, I think it is reasonable that the operating temperature of any other card based on the same chip would be the same for the H710 Mini. Air flow requirements may differ however, since that might depend on the size of heatsink used.
Many tanks for the fast replay, I did not know that was still the sas2208 so I can consider the temperature limits of 60°C I found in the old h710 dell datasheet I found it as a reference. Actually is quite difficult keeping at lower temperature than 60°C, with 8 SSD attached, inside the R720 without spinning the fans at least at 50%.
Maybe I need to attach a dedicated small fan to it. The heatsink on the H710 mini is quite thick and the heat inertia is quite noticable he takes at least 20-30sec when you change the fan speed to start noticing some temperature change.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Many tanks for the fast replay, I did not know that was still the sas2208 so I can consider the temperature limits of 60°C I found in the old h710 dell datasheet I found it as a reference. Actually is quite difficult keeping at lower temperature than 60°C, with 8 SSD attached, inside the R720 without spinning the fans at least at 50%.
Maybe I need to attach a dedicated small fan to it. The heatsink on the H710 mini is quite thick and the heat inertia is quite noticable he takes at least 20-30sec when you change the fan speed to start noticing some temperature change.
I believe the spec sheet temps are referencing operating environment temps as opposed to card/chip temps which would be higher than ambient

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
That is true. The H710 mini runs very warm. I've often recommended to run the fans at faster speeds when using a H710 mini. It is definitely not recommended to run the fans at a low speed such as when using "power efficient" profile as over time, the H710 is likely to become damaged from prolonged heat exposure.