MATX board for 2690 v4 - need recommendations

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

skynet

Apr 24, 2016
Was planning on a dual 2690 v3 build but decided to simplify and go with a single 2690 v4 (ES). Most boards that support e5 v3 Xeon's also support v4's some just need a bios update.

Haven't researched single socket motherboards at all. Would like the potential for 128gb of ram. mATX or smaller, other than that no deal breaking requirements.

Would appreciate some recommendations with why you recommend that board and your experiences with it if any.

Continuum

Jun 5, 2015
Virginia
Was planning on a dual 2690 v3 build but decided to simplify and go with a single 2690 v4 (ES). Most boards that support e5 v3 Xeon's also support v4's some just need a bios update.

Haven't researched single socket motherboards at all. Would like the potential for 128gb of ram. mATX or smaller, other than that no deal breaking requirements.

Would appreciate some recommendations with why you recommend that board and your experiences with it if any.
Although Supermicro has a few E5 matx boards coming, your options for an matx board are currently limited to Asrock Rack. Last November I bought the EPC612d4u. The board works well for my needs. My system is an AIO running proxmox.

The only issue I encountered is running a graphical interface on the remote console for long periods of time. With a graphical interface, at least with ubuntu and lubuntu, the remote console stopped responding after a few hours.

Another consideration is that the Asrock Rack boards only have 4 dimm slots. To have 128 GB of RAM, you will need to use 4 32GB rdimms or lrdimms.

@Patrick has more information on a the variation of the board with 10GBase-T nic and an onboard LSI 3008 sas controller here:

ASRock Rack EPC612D4U-2T8R mATX SAS3 and 10Gbase-T

As for me, I use a Dell h310 hba flashed to IT mode for storage.

If you would like more information, let me know. More information on my build can be found here:

AIO Home Media and File Server

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
mATX is def. the limiting factor currently. If I were you I would REALLY try to be able to handle ATX and if possibly E-ATX that would blow your motherboard options wide open, and same for RAM demands.

skynet

Apr 24, 2016
unfortunately it has to be mATX

http://i.imgur.com/EK2s4ls.png - Except for the supermicro board's on this list, it says they all have max 64gb capacity, is this accurate? Can't I just put 4x32gb in the Asus X99-M WS for example?

Also anyone know when the supermicro X10SRM's are coming out?

thanks continuum, the asrock rack is not on the pcparts compatibility list but it looks like it is indeed compatible with xeon v4 chips and maybe the only current option if i want 128gb of ram

Continuum

Jun 5, 2015
Virginia
unfortunately it has to be mATX

http://i.imgur.com/EK2s4ls.png - Except for the supermicro board's on this list, it says they all have max 64gb capacity, is this accurate? Can't I just put 4x32gb in the Asus X99-M WS for example?

Also anyone know when the supermicro X10SRM's are coming out?

thanks continuum, the asrock rack is not on the pcparts compatibility list but it looks like it is indeed compatible with xeon v4 chips and maybe the only current option if i want 128gb of ram
According to the Asrock Rack website, the EPC612d4u supports E5 v4 processors with a BIOS update.

ASRock Rack > EPC612D4U

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia

This juicy Supermicro mATX is just around the corner.
Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10SRM-TF

upload_2016-5-7_14-15-25.png

Reactions: Patrick and Evan

skynet

Apr 24, 2016
can't find any info on when it's being released exactly though - any idea?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have already requested one of those mATX LGA2011 boards

SSS

May 4, 2016
Hi, can anybody help with understanding "12v only"?

Can I use it (X10SRM-TF) with regular ATX power supply?

P.S.
MB manual: "Currently, motherboards can only be powered up with Supermicro power supplies using both connectors".

Last edited:

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I read it that it's compatible with a 12v 8pin supply or a ATX 24pin.
The comment about both supplies and Supermicro I don't really understand unless the suggestion is redundancy ?
Did note the 12v supply should be always on, there is no signaling to switch on the PSU.

Expensive board.., had me thinking about e5 vs Xeon-D but for 10g and Low core count the D is still cheaper

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Just to revive an old thread, anybody even try X10SRM with 12v only power ?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Use my one with seasonic g360
Not committed to building one but considering it and wanted small and quiet, Low power.
The case I was thinking of though only support SFX but considering the board can completely run from 12v the thought crossed my mind to use just a brick. Class VI efficient.

If I had to use an ATX psu then could use a different case and ATX board but that's less than small.