Manually enable CCTL / TLER for drives in HW RAID?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
Do true hardware RAID cards, specifically the various LSI based cards, automatically enable CCTL / TLER and set the appropriate timeout delay on drives plugged into them, or is that something that should be done manually before putting the drives on the controller?

IE: I buy a stack of enterprise based drives for HW based RAID. Do I need to configure each drive one at a time while on a HBA with a program like smartctl to enable CCTL / TLER and set a appropriate timeout delay prior to connecting the drives to the LSI HW based RAID card?

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
Hmm... No replies.

I guess I will attempt to test this. My thought is to pull a drive from an array and see if CCTL / TLER is set. Of course that doesn't rule out the possibility that the controller clears the setting during shut down. A slightly more comprehensive tests will be necessary.

My thought is to take 2 drives, enable CCTL / TLER on one, not on the other. Put on the HW RAID card, make an array with them, use them a bit, shut down and pull the drives and see if none, one, or both have CCTL / TLER enabled.

aj84

Oct 28, 2015
Germany
Some time ago I experimented with CCTL / TLER and changing the drive-settings with smartctl: all drives I tested lost the custom setting after a power cycle (sometimes it even doesn't survive a reboot) - they simply returned to their factory defaults (in my tests: SCT Error Recovery Control Read/Write = disabled). All of my tests were done with SATA drives - perhaps SAS disks behave different?

I guess: To determine if a hardware controller actually changes the CCTL / TLER setting you need to query the current setting from the drives while they are running in a hardware raid array and compare the results to the factory default settings of these drives. But: Do these hardware controlle pass these smartctl commands to the disks?

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
I guess: To determine if a hardware controller actually changes the CCTL / TLER setting you need to query the current setting from the drives while they are running in a hardware raid array and compare the results to the factory default settings of these drives. But: Do these hardware controllers pass these smartctl commands to the disks?
I don't think they will pass the commands.

Supposedly drives that have proper CCTL/TLER support will keep the setting through a power cycle. I guess I will have to experiment with some of the drives I have. I have a number of enterprise SATA drives that I'm putting into my new server (hence the thread topic since I'm not sure if I need to enable CCTL/TLER for them or not). I would expect them to keep the setting.

aj84

Oct 28, 2015
Germany
I would expect them to keep the setting.
Exptected that, too...but my ones didn't:
HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 512n (HUS724030ALA640/0F14689)
WD RE4 WD2000FYYZ
WD RE4 WD2003FYYS
Toshiba DT01ACA300 (Consumer grade)
Toshiba MD04ACA400 (Consumer grade)

Pleas post your findings!

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
Tried two 4TB drives today hanging off an Intel controller...

Toshiba MG04ACA400E (Enterprise)
Toshiba MD04ACA400 (Consumer)

Both held the setting through reset, but not through a power cycle.

Maybe HW RAID controllers automatically attempt to change the setting on all the connected drives at startup.