Managing taxes when mining/trading a cryptocurrency

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jetbird

Dec 28, 2017
I started mining in 2018. I'm trying to setup a system to record mining income and trades for tax reporting. I mine/trade a dozen or so currencies, so I have multiple wallets, multiple pools, multiple exchanges... This could get complex. What is you approach to dealing with all this? My first thought is to;

Step 1: Get Income Generated
1. Scrape data from the pools I mine to get transactions. Put these into a sql database.
2. Scrape data from an exchange or other data source to convert a currency I mined to USD.

Step 2: Trading
On a weekly basis, manually enter weekly coins mined into cointracking.info using a weekly average basis. Once they are in CoinTracking, I should be able to trade them, and keep the accounting in order.

What do you do? I'm trying to get my head wrapped around this.

Thanks,

Jeff

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Here's some interesting reading to start you off :)

I'm not into mining myself, never really thought about the tax implications, but having read the above article, I would say if there's even a hint of crypto in your income, you better make sure you have access to an accountant that fully understands the tax regulations surrounding crypto currencies, otherwise there's a fairly decent chance you'll get an official suppository one day when you least expect it :eek::p:D