Managed Switch Suggestion?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Phil89a

Dec 26, 2023
It has been years since I messed with Networks and the home network I've inherited is a flat LAN with lots of very long Cat5e and no attempt at management. As I start to add more and more IoT devices I feel the whole thing needs a good clean-up, so I decided my 2024 Project is to replace the network and put something in that is performant, secure and manageable; if for more no other reason than to learn what's is what these days and have a fun project to implement

So my first of many questions is regarding a suitable Managed Switch that can:

10 GB Uplink to another Managed Switch
10 GB connection to MacBook Pro for fast data transfer to NAS (for Photo Editing) - USB-C to 10GB Adapter on Laptop
vLAN capable
DHCP Server supporting DHCP Pools (for vLANs)
at Least 6 x 2.5 GB ports (for future proofing)

You can see where the Switch fits in on the attached drawing. This is just a dump of ideas at the moment and will need lots of refining I am sure.

Can anyone suggest what can fit? Budget wise, it is for a home Network so not looking for Enterprise class prices :)

Many thanks

PS - feel free to pick holes in my drawing - its the only way to learn.

1703617152199.png

Reactions: altmind

WeirdG

Jan 14, 2023
See if you can track down the TP-Link Omada 8-Port 2.5G L2+ Managed Switch (SG3210X-M2). This appears to be the non-PoE version of the SG3210XHP-M2 switch and seems like a direct competitor to the MikroTik CRS310-8G+2S+IN.