Maiwo 4-bay and 8-bay mini-SAS interface DAS enclosures

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
The Qotom Denverton fanless system thread (link) has some posts about Maiwo brand 4-bay and 8-bay mini-SAS interface enclosures. I re-post them here.

Thanks @SlowmoDK for his initial post(link) of the aliexpress link to the 4-bay Maiwo mini-sas interface enclosure. (aliexpress link : 3.5" Four Bay Docking Station External Hdd Enclosure RAID Function Disk Array Box Support SAS interface SFF-8088, model: K35274SAS)

Product page:

Its $9x.xx price plus $11 shipping to US(if the user has aliexpress account, the shipping fee to US can be lowered to $6.xx) is pretty reasonable and affordable. But if anyone wants 8 bays or more, I will prefer a DIY build. (link to @Patrick introductions on DIYing an SAS DAS enclosure, introduction part 1, introduction part 2)

There are 2 categories of SAS enclosures on the manufacturer's website:

Except for aliexpress.com which is for regular customers, only alibaba.com and Taobao Global are selling these products, the buyer should act as a wholesalor(Note: lots of people order small stuffs via Taobao and use some shipping services to US, but not large things like these.):

(1) Alibaba.com
The manufacturer has below SAS models, but all are wholesale only, due to alibaba.com's rule:

(2) Taobao Global store
Below is the Taobao Global site's webpage of Maiwo's K8AC and K8AD enclosure. Its price does not include the shipping fee. But the viewer should be able to read Chinese language and understand the whole process of global shipping completely, since all the taobao global stores will only ship to a global shipping service provider's warehouse located in China or Singapore first, then the warehouse will group all the packages for the same buyer, then to USA or Europe. Much more difficult than placing order on aliepxress.com or temu.com which the platform will take care of this process automatically. And the 8-bay ones cost $500/each and up, and plus shipping fee and taxes.

I ordered a 4-bay one, waiting for arriving.

Last edited:

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Probably I knew why the 4-bay SAS enclosure model quits on Amazon.
The enclosure uses a internal mini-sas interface usually for an internal backplane as its outer interface.
The stock cable is a 1 meter 8087 to 8088 cable. It is hard to find the 1.5 meters or up length of this 8087 to 8088 cable, and only 1 supplier manufactures such lengths.
The 2 meters 8644 to 8088 cable will cost near $40 after shipping fee and tax, and only 1 supplier, too.

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
Probably I knew why the 4-bay SAS enclosure model quits on Amazon.
The enclosure uses a internal mini-sas interface usually for an internal backplane as its outer interface.
The stock cable is a 1 meter 8087 to 8088 cable. It is hard to find the 1.5 meters or up length of this 8087 to 8088 cable, and only 1 supplier manufactures such lengths.
The 2 meters 8644 to 8088 cable will cost near $40 after shipping fee and tax, and only 1 supplier, too.
There is also the issue of cable length when using SATA drives.