m2 to u2 adapter issue? or normal

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I have an Asus m2 to u.2 adapter... slide in to m2, and you get a u.2 port. I've never used it since I have a Samsung M2 NVME inmy existing desktop, and servers use backplanes or NVME HBA.

Well... my new system has a MSI motherboard (same brand as my existing for what it's worth) and the m2 to u2 adapter Ihave on the shelf is an 'asus' brand... I assumed these were 'dumb' devices but in BIOS my Intel 750 NVME 2.5" isn't detected. The 2.5" SATA SSD is and they share power cable (built-in splitter from PSU) so I know power is getting to the wires, and the Intel NVME is warm to the touch.

Is there any reason the ASUS adapter would not work?

Do I need to break-down and order this:
TURBO U.2 HOST CARD | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI USA
MSI Model Turbo U.2 Host Card Accessory - Motherboard - Newegg.com

I really wish MSI's higher-end motherboards had Intel NICs not that "killer" nic... or I would have spent $35 more on the motherboard with built-in U.2 but nooooo only that 'killer' NIC that doesn't even work without drivers, what is this 1999 pfftt :p:confused::cool:

Anyway, anyone done this and it works? Maybe just not showing NVME in BIOS?

Going to find me a Windows USB boot and try to install win10 and see if it's detected there.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
U.2 wiring is still not a 100% standard believe it or not. Intel and HGST/Toshiba drives, as well as cables, have slightly different specs.

I know it sounds like a joke, but unfortunately, it is not.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Thanks @Patrick

Are you suggesting that the u.2 2.5" cable may be the problem, or the way in which the m2/u2 adapter could vary and thus I should go with MSI brand adapter?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I believe the Asus Adapter only works in an Asus Board.

I got one once and it never got it to run. Same disks/cables with a GA adapter worked instantly

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Anyone know... can I use my Funtin adapter (pcie slot with 2.5" on card), and then when I get the adapter for m2->u2 simply swap the drive location, and it would still work fine? I'm not really seeing why not but thought i'd ask before I do this :)

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Depends on what you use it for, but the OS should see no difference except another slot location (different data path).
So if you pass it on to a VM you'd need to reassign, else there should be no issue - been there done that.