M1015 to 9211-IT ...no disks detected - please help

Discussion in 'RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters' started by NLS, Jun 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NLS

NLS New Member

OK I (think I) successfully flashed my newly acquired IBM M1015 to LSI9211-8i in IT mode.
    It was a bit difficult as I needed to find a motherboard that could see the card AND flash it.
    The first I tried saw the card, but froze when trying to query the card before flashing.
    Next motherboard was fine.
    Anyway I flashed it as seen here:
    http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/
    and here:
    SAS2008 (LSI9240/9211) Firmware files - Page 4 - Projects, Tools, Utilities & Customized INFs - LaptopVideo2Go Forums

I used P16 release firmware.

Note #1: None of the two was the actual motherboard I would use the card on. The card that I want the card on is ECS P45T-A (V1.0).
    ECS Web Site > P45T-A (V1.0)
    On the first PCIe x16 slot I have the VGA card and on the second PCIe x16 slot I have the controller.

Note #2: I NEVER tried it as IBM M1015 with disks (my SFF-8087 to 2xSATA cables were on order).

Anyway I installed everything on my server, put the cables in, connected 8 of my drives (note that the drives where previously working already in that system, using two smaller "stupid" controllers). So, nothing wrong with the drives, or PSU etc.

Anyway long story short: Doesn't seem to see ANY of my drives. It shows 0 drives. Also I installed MSM in Windows, it does indeed see the card, but shows 0 drives.

What could be wrong?

Extra info. When booting, BIOS screen reports:

LSI MPT SAS2 BIOS
    MPT2BIOS 7.31.00.00 (2013.02.28)

And, in the ctrl-c prompt if I PRESS ctrl-c it shows:
    LSI Corporation MPT2 boot ROM successfully installed.
    (briefly)
    ...then boots and actuallyu does NOT go to configuration.

If I do NOT press ctrl-c, instead it shows a table with this info:
    PCI slot FF
    Vendor LSI
    SAS2008-IT
    revision 16.00.00.00
    size/nvdata 10:00:00:00:06
    ...and boots

Windows (SBS2011 which is 2008R2 kernel), does see the card, I even installed newest drivers, but again, no drives.

Give me some feedback please.

Could it be the cables?
    These are the cables:
    Digitus DK-127011 SAS,SFF-8087,36PIN ΣΕ 4 SATA 7 P... - Easy Buy World
    (bought two)

Please help me, I don't know what to do.

2. NLS

NLS New Member

Nobody?

I searched around and found there are issues about a "forward" and a "reverse" version of the cable?
    Correct cable for M1015 and sata drives? - [H]ard|Forum
    The cable I bought above, I don't see any clear indication... Could that be the issue?

Here I found the only proper description of the cable by Digitus that I bought (page 35)...
    http://www.services.assmann.com/dow...essional2009-2010/02_copper components_en.pdf

I am not sure what to try next.
    Should I order different cables? (will take days)

Maybe something wrong with the card?
    (sent from HK... will be tough to send back...)

I plan to flash back to M1015 original and check what happens.

3. NLS

NLS New Member

Nobody bothered to give an idea (unlike other fora, I have to say).

Anyway an update...

I flashed the card back to stock M1015 firmware (latest version).
    NO disks detected again.

One thing I noticed is that (like in 9211-8i IT mode WITH mptsas2 bios installed), I cannot invoke configuration screen (ctrl-h for M1015, ctrl-c for 9211-8i), without failure, but doesn't start, just boots normally.

This means one of the following:

1) Something is wrong with the card. HOPE NOT.

2) Something cannot connect with invoking the card BIOS from my motherboard BIOS (seen that before with different unrelated hardware). I don't care as in IT mode I don't ever need the configuration screen

3) This card (in M1015 or 9211-8i IT mode) does not allow invoking the configuration screen if there is no disk detected/connected. (anybody care to try that?)

So... hoping it is not #1 above, I flashed back LSI 9211-8i IT mode and wait for LSI "forward" cables I ordered from Italy (CBL-SFF8087OCF-06M)... Hope this solves it (will post update).

WIll also contact the seller of the card today, that I plan to do one more test, else I will have to return it.

4. Biren78

Biren78 Active Member

Is the option ROM enabled?

mobilenvidia here is the firmware guru

5. NLS

NLS New Member

Yeah, as far as I know...

6. Lost-Benji

Lost-Benji Member

I might suggest using the search feature as these issues have been covered before.

Get the card in a board that is known working BEFORE attempting to flash. NOT all boards are equal or designed for enterprise devices to be added, especially P45's.

7. NLS

NLS New Member

Not easy...

8. NLS

NLS New Member

OK I have the final update and case close for this:

It was the cables.
    I just received LSI's own "forward" cables and yes, the controller detects the drives AND my motherboard BIOS also does (if I needed to boot from them - which I don't).
    (quick to dismiss my motherboard and chipset eh?)

Thank you all for your support.

Ah... moral of the story: Do NOT get the Digitus cables for this controller.

9. Lost-Benji

Lost-Benji Member

LOL, reverse cables are usually the harder ones to find. Hang on to them and mark them accordingly.

10. NLS

NLS New Member

No thanks. Useless to me. The 32 euros I got back were more important.
    Read: I am Greek.
    Read #2: Wtf would I need a cable that goes from 4 SATA controller ports to a single SFF-8087 (that most backplanes do NOT use)?

11. Lost-Benji

Lost-Benji Member

Most boards have 4-14 SATA ports onboard, backplanes usually take SF8087, not SATA, you figure it out.

12. NLS

NLS New Member

Most backplanes I've seen have SFF-8484 but anyway.
    Also if I had a system with a backplane I would probably NOT use my on-board SATA controller.

In any case still useless to me. If it was useful to you, you should tell me earlier to send it over.