LSI9211-8i - Physical Device Information

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Viperguy

Jun 6, 2019
I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on an issue I'm having.

Ive just recently built a machine based on the following:

Xeon 4110 CPU
Silverstone RM420 chassis
Supermicro X11SPL-F motherboard
3x LSI9211-8i cards

Now, it was easy enough to flash the cards with the P20 IT firmware and no dramas with getting Server 2019 Essentials seeing the drives, but whats irking me is that when I try to use SAS2IRCU to get a listing of the drives connected to the HBA, the Physical Device Information section is empty...

I can use SAS2FLASH to confirm active links to the drives so I know that works at least with the motley collection of SATA2 and a single SATA3 drive that I'm testing with, but I really want that Physical device section populating...

Any help would be much appreciated.

upload_2019-6-7_1-7-3.png

Last edited:

Viperguy

Jun 6, 2019
Well, I kind of found some more information about my issue.
It turns out that when the drives are pooled as part of the Storage Space process, the SAS2IRCU loses the ability to display the drive information, and consequently loses the ability to perform the LOCATE command because as far as the HBA is concerned there are no drives attached....

Which is very annoying because my backplane is not SES capable so I lose the ability via either method of identifying drives via LED (Windows Server "Toggle Drive Light", and the SAS2IRCU utility...)

Is there any advice out there other than get a SAS capable backplane/chassis...

upload_2019-6-12_11-9-29.png