LSI MegaRAID SAS 9250-4i flash to IT-Mode?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pixelwave

Nov 23, 2022
Hi,

does anybody successfully flashed the "LSI MegaRAID SAS 9250-4i" into "IT-Mode"?

I started reading through some posts in this forum and if my understanding is correct the card is currently running as a RAID card with MFI firmware. For my intended purpose (passthrough the pcie card with single SATA drives attached in proxmox to truenas scale VM) I need to flash it to IT-Mode with the specific firmware correct?

Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-08 um 15.12.08.jpg

Looking through the config options of the installed firmware I guess I can only setup virtual / raid drives:

Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-08 um 15.35.58.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-08 um 15.36.25.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-08 um 15.36.52.jpg

Last edited:

pixelwave

Nov 23, 2022
If I read the specs correctly it should be a "SAS 6 Gb/sec HBA" and therefore "sas2flsh" can be used to flash to IT mode for this card?

There are several flash methods available.
  1. sas2flash/sas3flash
    1. sas2flash for LSI SAS 6 Gb/sec HBAs (Windows/Linux/EFI)
      1. Cannot be used to flash to older firmware
      2. Cannot be used to flash from IT to IR firmware or from IR to IT firmware
      3. Can be used to flash the controller BIOS and/or EFI
    2. sas2flsh for LSI SAS 6 Gb/sec HBAs (DOS)
      1. Can be used to flash to older firmware
      2. Can be used to flash from IT to IR firmware or from IR to IT firmware
    3. sas3flash for LSI SAS 12 Gb/sec HBAs (Windows/Linux/EFI)
      1. Cannot be used to flash to older firmware
      2. Cannot be used to flash from IT to IR firmware or from IR to IT firmware
      3. Can be used to flash the controller BIOS and/or EFI
    4. sas3flsh for LSI SAS 12 Gb/sec HBAs (DOS)
      1. Can be used to flash to older firmware
      2. Can be used to flash from IT to IR firmware or from IR to IT firmware

In the MegaRaid manual it also says:
4.15.6 New Drives Attached to a MegaRAID Controller

When you insert a new drive on a MegaRAID system, if the inserted drive does not contain valid DDF metadata, the drive displays as JBOD. If the drive does contain valid DDF metadata, its drive state is Unconfigured Good. A new drive in JBOD drive state is exposed to the host operating system as a stand-alone drive. Drives in JBOD drive state are not part of the RAID configuration because they do not have valid DDF records. The operating system can install and run anything on JBOD drives.
Maybe it also works without IT mode?

Last edited:

pixelwave

Nov 23, 2022
I tried to flash the firmware with the "9211_4i_Package_P20_IR_IT_FW_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows" -> 2114it.bin

But it seems like there is a revision mismatch:
Screenshot 2023-05-08 185748.png

pixelwave

Nov 23, 2022
Ok .. so after digging deeper it seems the 9250 is (as the 9260) using the LSI SAS2108 chip and apperently there never was an IT mode for that specific one. I guess I am going to get an 9211 instead ...