LSI Megaraid 84016e JBOD/IT mode?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

spyrule

Hey guys,

Got this LSI 84016e's with BBU and 256MB of ram for $100, and thought it was a great deal. Didn't realize until AFTER I got it installed that
it doesn't offer JBOD as a standard configurable option.

Anybody know if this can be flashed to allow JBOD mode?

thx!

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
MegaCli -AdpSetProp -EnableJBOD -1 -a0

Should do it, being a IOP based controller it may not, these are ancient cards.
Also don't expect any kind of performance at all from these
In JBOD mode if you can get it is probably best

Even better bargains are the HP P400's which use the LSI1078 and can be gotten for $20 with 512MB and cables

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
MegaCli -AdpSetProp -EnableJBOD -1 -a0

Should do it, being a IOP based controller it may not, these are ancient cards.
Also don't expect any kind of performance at all from these
In JBOD mode if you can get it is probably best

Even better bargains are the HP P400's which use the LSI1078 and can be gotten for $20 with 512MB and cables
But don't the P400/P410 have the same problem with no JBOD?

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Sadly this command doesn't exist for the 84016e's from what I can tell... M1015 it is....
It should exist, as it uses the normal LSI MegaCLi utility that all other cards use.
Download Agreement
Latest version of MegaCLi from 84016 support page at LSI

What may happen the IOP controller may not recognise or support JBOD, making the command above useless.

Cheaper options exist 9211's are not quite dirt cheap, but 9201-8i and Dell H310 are much better priced.

spyrule

Ahh of course. I tried to use the built-in command line. Which is a much older version.

Unfortunately, I ran the command and it ran successfully, but after a reboot, when I went to build a new VD, jbod was not an option sadly.

Also to clarify, I'm running the latest firmware as well, so I think I'm SOL.

Is there a command to save the changes to the firmware, or is it instant on success ?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Ahh of course. I tried to use the built-in command line. Which is a much older version.

Unfortunately, I ran the command and it ran successfully, but after a reboot, when I went to build a new VD, jbod was not an option sadly.

Also to clarify, I'm running the latest firmware as well, so I think I'm SOL.

Is there a command to save the changes to the firmware, or is it instant on success ?
With some LSI-based controllers turning on JBOD does not create a JBOD option in the config tool. If you attach a drive that is not configured into a volume it is just presented to the OS as a bare drive.