LSI controller/driver is only seeing one SSD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Flintstone

Jun 11, 2016
I have a strange problem that I have never encountered in years of working with Solaris. I have three ancient Samsung 830 SSDs (128GB) that I cannot get my flashed m1015 to recognize either in ESXi 6 or in OmniOS.

Only one of them is showing no matter what I do. I even upgraded my controller FW from 14 to 20 with no different result. I have also deleted the disks with dd in linux to get all partition info reset.

If I assign the controller to Windows7 or just boot FreeNAS or Linux, they are all available.

Might it be that the LSI driver assigns the same WWID to all of the drives?

vBuild2BAU

Feb 27, 2016
Melbourne Australia
Hi
I had this exact problem about 2 few years ago with the Samsung 830 and on OpenIndiana (I think). Sorry if I am a bit vague.
I believe it was because of the WWNs. SAS drives were okay. But because the Samsungs are SATA. They all appear under the same WWN.

Similar to here: OI + Napp-it doesn't see SSD drive

I was able to overcome it by editing a file. I found the answer by googling at the time.

Googling now I found this:
[OpenIndiana-discuss] Only one SSD detected on expander
Which seems familiar in this part:
>>> in the /kernel/drv/mpt_sas.conf i unrem the line with
>>> mpxio-disable="yes";

Hope that helps.

Flintstone

Jun 11, 2016
It didnt solve the problem. My best guess is that the root of the issue is if the OS/driver is using the WWN (Solaris) or not (Windows/FreeBSD). I guess the best thing is to use them for something else or sell them - and replace with s3500 or better.