LSI boot option rom causing ESXi to fail booting

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I SWAER I had this working in previous setup, didn't change a thing, I have a SC216 chassis that is not exactly conducive to adding another sata pwr whip unless I take one of the backplane pwr conn's off and splice in there. In that regard I have been reliably using a s3500 in slot 8 of my sc216 for booting ESXi and it has been working flawlessly, even after LSI 2008 v20 flash and removing boot rom bios. Today on my new X9SRL-F builds I cannot boot this server now.

Does that need to be there to use a LSI HBA to boot off of or am I losing my mind, was working before. Guess I could take it out, re-flash, slap boot rom back on it to test.

Would be good to get a yea/nay confirmation though. Seems to make sense but I KNOW I was booting cleanly before w/ it removed so color me perplexed.

Nothing smooth arnd here today.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
If you are booting off device connected to the LSI then you need the boot rom. If you are booting of USB for example then you should be fine.