EU LSI 9285cv-8e incl. battery €7.26 or BO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

noths

Dec 9, 2015
Athens, Greece
I was watching this sometime now and today I saw that the seller dropped the price, so I offered €6 (each) for 2 pieces and seller accepted right away. Shipping from Netherlands to Greece is €15 for 1 piece and €1 for each additional. 168 pieces available.

I hope it's useful to someone.

LSI 9285cv-8e

Last edited:
Reactions: Psycho_Robotico

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
I use this card for raid 6 with a cachecade. Works well and you cant beat it for the used price these days

Reactions: noths

noths

Dec 9, 2015
Athens, Greece
@JoshDi may I ask you some questions, because this LSI->Avago->Broadcom transformation has ruined a lot of useful links I find searching for this card?

What firmware and management suite are you using? Drivers for Windows 10 pro?
Have you got a hardware key for cachecade or a software one? I see that hw key is LSI00290, but I find a much cheaper price for LSI00292 which is for 9260 I think, I can't use it, right?
Is any ssd combatible with cc?
I read a thread here at STH where it was mentioned that one can use a 30 days trial key and renew it every month, is it possible and is it safe? If I forget to renew it and I do it after it has expired will my array be OK?
I am after a raid 6 array for video editing, do you think cachecade would be better for my case, or I should not bother since I am interested in seq read - write performance?

Sorry for bombing you with questions and thank you in advance if you answer some.

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
@JoshDi may I ask you some questions, because this LSI->Avago->Broadcom transformation has ruined a lot of useful links I find searching for this card?

What firmware and management suite are you using? Drivers for Windows 10 pro?
Have you got a hardware key for cachecade or a software one? I see that hw key is LSI00290, but I find a much cheaper price for LSI00292 which is for 9260 I think, I can't use it, right?
Is any ssd combatible with cc?
I read a thread here at STH where it was mentioned that one can use a 30 days trial key and renew it every month, is it possible and is it safe? If I forget to renew it and I do it after it has expired will my array be OK?
I am after a raid 6 array for video editing, do you think cachecade would be better for my case, or I should not bother since I am interested in seq read - write performance?

Sorry for bombing you with questions and thank you in advance if you answer some.
No worries, @noths

I use this card on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS x64, but I used to run this on a Windows 7 x64 machine. I use the latest MegaRaid software (17.05.00.02) and the latest firmware/driver (3.460.115-6465). For windows 7, you do need to use an older driver for this card to work. The latest does not support this old of an OS. With Windows 10, you will be fine with the latest.

I would not recommend the 9260 (used to run this card as well) since it does not have a strong enough CPU for RAID. 9266 is the same processor as the 9285, and the bottleneck becomes SAS2. I had cachecade on my 9260 and 9266, before I switched to an external 9285 card. The 9260 is not fast enough for cachecade at all and would not recommend these cards. The 9266 and 9285 are much faster and still very cheap.

No, not every SSD or HDD is compatible with these RAID cards. SSDs are more finicky than HDDs though. I suggest looking at the compatibility guide for SAS 2.5 hardware from LSI/Avago/Broadcom. The SSDs I use are HRALP0200GBASSLC, but there are a lot of supported SAS SSD drives in the compatibility list that are very cheap on eBay. I'd stick to the MLC or SLC versions of SSDs because you are going to thrash them with cachecade.

I have an actual cachecade key. Long story short, LSI gave me a software key because they incorrectly told me to buy a hardware key for my 9266. After the LSI->Avago->Broadcom transition, I now have access to the internal IT license key profile.... so I have the ability to move my key around or even assign new ones. I can actually see all of the cards they used for testing at LSI, which is why I assume its an internal IT section of the key portal. I dont recommend doing the 30 day trial key. Instead, I recommend using a BCACHE (only with linux) in front of your RAID6 arrays. I am one of those crazy freaks though with two raid 6 arrays, cachecade and a bcache in front.

Sequential read/write for video editing will not provide a large benefit for cachecade or bcache for that matter. Both of these caching mechanisms are great for random read, IO throughput, and large IO queues. They were originally created for mySQL databases or enterprises that have a lot of users read/write to the same array.

Reactions: noths