LSI 9271 with res2sv240 help

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

boostedhp

Jun 16, 2013
Hi All,

I've been looking for answers to my issue and can't seem to find anything. I'm hoping that someone here may have an answer or two for me.

A little background on my setup:

Norco 4220 (original backplane had capacitors in reverse polarity and set 4 hdds on fire)
Intel S1200BTL
LSI 9271-4i
Intel res2sv240
8x 3tb WD red drives

I have flashed the newest bios/post onto the MB and the raid card. System is installed with Windows server 2012 and is up and running. From a compatibility standpoint the expander is listed as compatible with raid card and MB. I ran into a little confusion as to whether I need forward or reverse breakout cables, so I order both.

I currently have the SFF8087 cable coming out of the raid card and connected to ports 0-3 on the expander. From what I've read all of them can function as input/outputs but others have had better luck with that particular port. I have tried 2 other ports with the same effect. I have 2 hdds attached to the forward breakout cable and a single drive attached to the reverse breakout, figuring which ever one shows up was the correct cable. Onto the problem:

When I open up webbios it can see the expander, but nothing else. There are no hard drives visible regardless of which cable or ports they're plugged into. The Hdds are all powered on and are just sitting there. Am I missing something, or doing something wrong that anyone can see?

boostedhp

Jun 16, 2013
How do you power the expander?
Also get rid of the reverse breakout cable.
I've tried powering it with just the slot and with the molex connector. Both power sources show up the same way in both webbios and the megaraid utility.

Would just having the reverse breakout cable prevent the expander from seeing the drives attached to the forward breakout cable?

omniscence

Nov 30, 2012
Well, I don't know, but the forward cables are the right choice for this case. I can assure you that WD Reds generally work with this expander. I use a 9211-8i controller however. I had single link and dual link configurations and all worked just fine.

I suppose that the drives work when directly attached; there is still the chance that your expander is defective.

Last edited:

boostedhp

Jun 16, 2013
Well I'm officially lost, I tried to isolate the problem and can't seem to find it.

I attached 2 disks (removed from backplane, added power and cables) directly to the raid card using the forward breakout cable. When that failed I tried the reverse breakout and it also failed to see the drives as was expected. Tried the same experiment through the expander with the same results.

The expander looked like the culprit originally, but now I'm not so sure. I guess it's possible that the forward breakout cable that I received was bad?

boostedhp

Jun 16, 2013
Well I discovered the problem.....the 4 hdds that I was trying to get set up were all trashed. I'm guessing they were ruined at the same time the other 4 caught on fire, but show no visible signs of damage. The replacements for the 4 melted hdds showed up without a problem. Looks like I was again screwed by Norco. Thanks for the help, I would still be banging my head trying to figure this out.